The Expedition Bicycle – Handlebars, Gear Shifters and Brakes
Over the last couple of weeks, I have bought a few items to use on my expedition bicycle project. One of those items, is a pair of Shimano XT ST-M750 9/3 speed shifter/levers, as shown below.
These are gear shifters and brakes combined, and as I bought them second hand from eBay for £55.00, are already several years old. They are tough, simple and robust, and I believe that they will last for many years. They seem to be the perfect fit for my butterfly handlebars, (which I wrote about a while ago), and fixing both the new handlebars and then the gear shifters onto the bike took around half an hour.
Once these were in position, it was time to fix new cables for both the brakes. As well as the Shimano XT ST-M750 9/3 speed shifter/levers, I had also bought + XT BR-M750 V brakes front & rear as part of the package, but I have decided against fitting them at this point, although I may do on the future. Instead, it was a matter of using my old cantilever brakes. Adding new cables to the set up took again probably a half hour or less.
Once the brakes were working, it was time to put new gear cables on for both the front and rear mech. This was again a relatively simple job, taking a half hour. The biggest problem that I had, was in getting the front mech to change gear correctly, something which I sorted out in the end after a bit of swearing!
The expedition bicycle, as it looks now, is shown below.
So, thats where I am now. As I replaced the handlebars, gear shifters and cables, I realised that perhaps I should write a step by step guide for other people that might be attempting to do similar things. I will aim to get these guides written up over the next couple of weeks.
Note – Took it out for its first ride back from work, and I hope now to be commuting daily to and from work, which is something that I have gotten out of the habit of doing over the last few months.