England to Cape Town Cycle Trip 2006-2007
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why are you doing it?
– Because i want to.
2. How are you going to get across the sea?
– Don't ask silly questions. I'll catch a ferry from Dover to Calais, and it's all overland from there. I did toy with the idea of making the channel crossing by canoe, but I'll probably save that for another time
3. How far is it?
– To be quite honest, I'm not sure. I'll keep a log of how far I travel and other statistics for each day on The Boring Statistics Page.
4. How long will it take you?
– I'm allowing myself twelve months to complete the trip. I could probably do it in a much shorter time, but i want to spend some time exploring ruins in Turkey and Egypt.
5. Won't it be dangerous?
– Possibly, possibly not. How do you define danger? Will I be eaten by lions? Unlikely, in fact i'll probably be lucky to see one (memories of my tigerless Safari in India come to mind!!) Will i be robbed? Who can tell? You can get mugged or have your house robbed without travelling out of the country of your birth. I do expect kids in Sudan and Ethiopia to throw stones at me however, as every cyclists travelogue I've ever read seems to mention it !! I will wear my cycle helmet for that section!!
6. Are you doing it for charity?
– No I'm not. Why not?? None of your business.
7. Are you mad?
– There is a strong possibility.