Here are some travel tips for the budget traveller, designed to save you cash when out on the road. Spend less, and travel longer!
Travel Tips for Budget Travel
1. Avoid backpackers hostels – This may sound like a strange one at first. Up until five or ten years ago, backpackers hostels offered good value for money for the budget traveller, and in the capital cities of the developed world, they still do to a certain extent. In the developing world, however, it is often more expensive to sleep in a dorm in a backpackers hostel, than it is to have a private room in a local hotel or hostel on the same street.
2. Stay in places for longer – By staying in places for longer, you can negotiate a better price for your room by the week or month.
3. Filter or purify water – Save money and the environment by purifying or filtering your own water rather than by bottled. I learned this from my many bicycle tours. Interested in bike touring? Find out how to cut costs on a long distance bike tour here.
4. Drink water not beer or soft drinks. – Pretty obvious, but add up the cost of a couple of beers a day, and multiply that by 6 months or a year of travel.
5. Spot the local Meal Deal – It could be the menu del dia, it could even be a McDonalds offer.
6. Cook for yourself – The meal deal for one meal a day and cooking for yourself for the other two is going to save you.
7. Travel with someone else – Single travellers usually get the worse deal on accommodation. Travelling with one or more friends will reduce your overall costs. You need to make sure you know them well though!
8. Think about transport – I’m a cyclist and prefer to travel by bicycle.It certainly takes away any bus costs! But even if you are not a cyclist, do you need to take that taxi when you could take a 10 minute walk?
9. Travel overnight – If you are travelling by bus, then consider taking an overnight as this will save on a nights room costs.
10. Use Skype not telephones – Skype to skype calls are free. Skype to landline calls are cheaper than using a conventional phone.