You can travel directly from Syros to Donoussa island in Greece on a ferry that leaves once or twice per week depending on seasonal demand. This guide has all the travel information you need to know.
Donoussa island in Greece
Due to its position, it's not on a particularly well traveled ferry route, and so there are only one or two direct weekly ferry connections between Syros and Donoussa.
These ferries to Donoussa from Syros are operated by SeaJets and Blue Star Ferries. The fastest ferry from Syros going to Donoussa takes around 3 hours. The slowest ferry boat sailing to Donoussa from Syros island takes around 5 hours and 35 minutes.
Usually, the quicker boats also have more expensive ticket costs. This might not be the case on the Syros Donoussa route though, so it's best to check out prices. The best place to look at up to date schedules and book tickets online is Ferryhopper.
Indirect ferries from Syros to Donoussa
As a ferry frequency of just one or two boats a week is not ideal for many travelers, you might want to be aware that there are other options when it comes to getting from Syros to Donoussa.
These involve taking an indirect route from Syros, where you would swap vessels at another island before carrying on to Donoussa on a different boat.
The two best islands to consider going via would be Paros and Naxos. There are regular daily ferry connection from Syros to both of these islands making them easy to get to.
Once on Paros or Naxos, you would then take another ferry on to Donoussa. Check out Ferryhopper and see if you can put a route together on the dates you want to travel. You might also want to read these related travel guides:
Donoussa Island Travel Tips
A few travel tips for visiting the island of Donoussa:
- Ferries leave from Ermoupoli port in Syros. Ferries arrive at Stavros (Chora) port in Donoussa.
- For rooms to rent in Donoussa, have a look at Booking. They have a great choice of places to stay in Donoussa and areas to consider staying include Chora. If you are traveling to Donoussa in the height of the tourist season, I advise reserving accommodation in Donoussa a month or so in advance.
- Make sure to check out these beaches in Donoussa: Fikio, Kedros, Livadi, Vathi Limenari, Tripiti, and Stavros.
- The easiest way to get hold of ferry tickets in Greece is by using Ferryhopper. I think it's better that you book your Syros to Donoussa ferry tickets in advance, especially during the tourist season.
- For more travel information about Donoussa, Syros and other places in Greece, please sign up for my newsletter.
- You might also like to read: Things to do in Donoussa
How to make the trip from Syros to Donoussa FAQ
Some commonly asked questions about traveling to Donoussa from Syros include:
How do you get to Donoussa from Syros?
The only way to get from Syros to Donoussa is to use a ferry. There are direct ferries leaving once or twice a week depending on the season sailing to Donoussa from Syros. Indirect ferry routes via Naxos and Paros are also available.
Is there an airport on Donoussa?
The Greek island of Donoussa does not have an airport. The closest island with an airport is Naxos, which has connections with the main airport in Athens.
How long is the ferry crossing from Syros to Donoussa?
The direct ferries to Donoussa island from Syros take between 3 hours and 5 hours and 35 minutes. Ferry operators on the Syros Donoussa route may include SeaJets and Blue Star Ferries.
Where do you get ferry tickets to Donoussa?
I find that the Ferryhopper website is the best place to book ferry tickets online. I think it's better that you book your Syros to Donoussa ferry tickets in advance, however you might also prefer to use a travel agency in Greece when you have arrived.
Dave is a travel writer based in Greece In addition to creating this travel blog post about ferries from Syros to Donoussa, he's written many more guides to Greece and the islands. Follow Dave on social media for travel inspiration from Greece and beyond: