On some weeks there is only one direct ferry from Syros to Schinoussa island in Greece, on other weeks there may be three. You can also use indirect ferries to get to Schinoussa from Syros if you go via Naxos. This guide shows you how.
Schinoussa island in Greece
The Greek island of Schinoussa is one of the Lesser Cyclades or Smaller Cyclades islands in Greece. Low key and quiet, it makes a perfect getaway destination for anyone that doesn't like crowds and big tourist resorts.
If you are planning to travel to Schinoussa right after spending time on Syros, you'll need to take a ferry as it is not possible to fly between these two Greek islands.
There's two basic choices when it comes to taking a ferry. The first, is to take a direct Syros to Schinoussa ferry which is a little sporadic, and doesn't leave you many options on which day you can sail.
The second option, is to take an indirect ferry via another island, swap ferries, and then continue on to Schinoussa from there.
Direct ferries from Syros to Schinoussa
Taking a direct ferry is the easiest way to travel to Schinoussa from Syros. You don't need to worry about changing ferries at another island, and the quickest ferry can get you there in as little as three hours and forty five minutes.
During the height of summer, there can be on some weeks 1 and on other weeks up to 3 ferries per week from Syros to Schinoussa. These ferries to Schinoussa from Syros are operated by Blue Star Ferries and SeaJets.
The days of sailing will change depending on the season, so it's a relatively difficult journey to plan months in advance. Typically, ferry schedules go live a month or two in advance.
If you want to check schedules and book tickets for the direct Syros Schinoussa ferry online, check out Ferryhopper.
Indirect Ferries to Schinoussa from Syros
If you want the ability to travel on any day of the week, you might need to consider taking an indirect ferry route. This would involve taking a ferry from Syros to another island, swapping boats, and then continuing on to Schinoussa on a different ferry.
The drawback to this Greek island-hopping option, is that it will take more travel time, and it is likely to be a lot more expensive.
If you are thinking of this way to travel Syros Schinoussa by ferry, islands you should consider going via include Naxos and Paros. More here:
Schinoussa Island Travel Tips
A few travel tips for visiting the island of Schinoussa:
- Ferries sail from Ermoupoli port in Syros. Ferries arrive at Mersini port in Schinoussa.
- For rooms to rent in Schinoussa, I suggest looking at Booking. They have a great range of accommodation in Schinoussa and areas to consider staying include Chora, Tsigouri, Livadi, and Mersini. I've a more detailed guide which also includes accommodation you might not find anywhere else online here: Where to stay in Schinoussa.
- Make sure to check out these beaches in Schinoussa: Livadi, Psili Ammos, Tsigouri, Fikio, and Piso Ammos. You should read my guide on what to do in Schinoussa to help plan your vacation.
- Ferryhopper is perhaps the easiest site to use when it comes to booking Ferry tickets online. Although I recommend you book your Syros to Schinoussa ferry tickets in advance, especially during the peak travel season, you'll find ticket and travel agencies in most Greek island ports and main towns.
- For more travel information about Schinoussa, Syros and more destinations in Greece, subscribe to my newsletter.
- You might also like to check out my travel guidebook to Schinoussa now available on Amazon! – Schinoussa and Iraklia in Greece: Greek Islands Travel Guide Kindle Edition
How to make a trip from Syros to Schinoussa FAQ
A few of the questions readers ask about traveling to Schinoussa from Syros include:
How can we get to Schinoussa from Syros?
The only way to take the journey from Syros to Schinoussa is by taking a ferry. On some weeks there is 1 and on other weeks up to 3 ferries per week sailing to the Greek island of Schinoussa from Syros.
Is there an airport in Schinoussa?
The island of Schinoussa does not have its own airport. The nearest airport to Schinoussa is located on nearby Naxos island.
How long is the ferry crossing from Syros to Schinoussa?
The direct ferries to the Cyclades island of Schinoussa from Syros take between three hours and forty five minutes and five and a half hours. Ferry operators on the Syros Schinoussa route may include SeaJets and Blue Star Ferries.
How can I buy tickets for the ferry to Schinoussa?
I find that the Ferryhopper website is the best place to book ferry tickets online. Although I recommend you book your Syros to Schinoussa ferry tickets in advance, you might also prefer to use a travel agency in Greece when you have arrived.
Dave is a travel writer who has been based in Greece since 2015. As well as writing this travel blog post about ferries from Syros to Schinoussa, he's written hundreds of other insightful travel guides to Greek islands and destinations. Follow Dave on social media for travel inspiration from Greece and beyond: