Starting work on the Expedition Bicycle
I took the weekend off today from my freelance writing, and so was able instead to put in a few hours on my bike. As I mentioned in a previous post, I have decided to build my own expedition bicycle from the remains of my Dawes Sardar which I used on the last trip of cycling from Alaska to Argentina. Below, you can see what sort of state it was in!
The rear rack that you see was fitted in Bolivia after my front racks collapsed, leaving me with nowhere to put two bags. I was in the middle of nowhere, and had to take whatever there was. The sturdy rack was hilariously fitted at an angle so that it was never straight. It did the trick though!
The first job was for that to come off. I was a bit concerned that it might have rusted in place, but it came off in the end! The second job, was to swap over the drop handlebars that you can see in the picture for some butterfly handlebars that I had purchased a few weeks earlier. This proved to be a very easy job.
Of course, this meant that I would need new gear shifters and brakes for the new set up. I had an old bike in the garage that I had bought from the tip nearly five years ago, and it had just the parts that I needed to see if the set up on the new handlebars would work. It did work, and looks pretty good.
However, during the process, I decided that the cantilever brakes that are currently fitted would have to go, and instead, I will install V brakes. These are very simple and can be repaired with the minimum of gear, which is always handy when on the road! So, I will make an ebay purchase tonight and get new front and rear V brakes, as well as some new brake handles and gear changers.
Fingers crossed that I can get the bike back on the road for next weekend and actually get out and about and ride the thing!