There are two direct ferries a week sailing from Syros to Thirasia, and also options to travel every day indirectly via Santorini. Here's all the travel information you need to book your Syros Thirasia ferry in Greece.
How to get from Syros to Thirasia
If you are planning to travel to the island of Thirasia after visiting Syros, you have two options. Firstly, you can take the twice weekly direct ferry. Secondly, you could go via Santorini which would be more expensive, but you could travel any day of the week.
The first option is the simplest. During the summer of 2020, SeaJet ferries from Syros to Thirasia left on Saturdays and Tuesdays, and took 5 hours and 45 minutes to complete the journey.
Given the travel restrictions and complications expected in 2021 and 2022, you should definitely check Ferryhopper for up to date schedules and travel information. It's the site I use myself when island hopping in the Cyclades of Greece.
Indirect Ferries to Thirasia from Syros via Santorini
You also have the option of traveling any day of the week from Syros to Thirasia if you take an indirect route via Santorini. There is at least one direct ferry a day from Syros to Santorini, and once in Santorini, you would then take another ferry to Thirasia. Complete guides here:
Try using Ferryhopper in order to book ferry tickets online.
Thirasia Island Travel Tips
A few travel tips for visiting the Cyclades island of Thirasia:
- Ferry services leave from Ermoupoli port in Syros. Ferries arrive at Riva port in Thirasia.
- For accommodation in Thirasia, I recommend using Booking. They have a great choice of rooms to rent in Thirasia and areas to consider staying include Agia Irini, and Manolas. If you are traveling to Thirasia in the peak travel season, I advise reserving hotels in Thirasia a month or so in advance.
- Spend time on some of the top rated beaches in Thirasia: Riva, and Korfos.
- The best place to look at Greek ferries online is Ferryhopper. Although I suggest you book your Syros to Thirasia ferry tickets in advance, especially during the the busiest months of summer, you will find there are local travel and ticket agencies on the islands you can also use.
- For more travel tips about Thirasia, Syros and other destinations in Greece, subscribe to my newsletter.
- Related travel post suggestion: Red Beach in Santorini
How to make the trip from Syros to Thirasia FAQ
Questions that people ask about traveling to Thirasia from Syros include:
How do you get to Thirasia from Syros?
There are up to 2 direct ferries a week sailing to Thirasia island from Syros. You can also travel every day of the week if you take an indirect route via Santorini, where you would swap boats.
Is there an airport in Thirasia?
The island of Thirassia does not have an airport. The closest airport is on Santorini which is the island right next door.
How long is the ferry ride from Syros to Thirasia?
The direct ferries to the island of Thirasia from Syros take between and 5 hours and 45 minutes. Ferry operators on the Syros Thirasia route may include SeaJets.
Where can I buy tickets for the ferry to Thirasia?
I find that the Ferryhopper website is the best place to book ferry tickets online. Although I suggest you book your Syros to Thirasia ferry tickets in advance, you might also prefer to use a travel agency in Greece when you have arrived.
Dave is a travel writer from the UK who lives in and writes about Greece In addition to writing this travel blog guide ferries from Syros to Thirasia, he's created many other guides about Greek islands and destinations in Greece. Follow Dave on social media for travel inspiration from Greece and beyond: