Some of my photos from cycling in Peru. These were taken as part of my bike tour from Alaska to Argentina. There's links to my Peru bike touring blogs at the bottom of the page.
Peru Cycling Photos
These long days of saving for my next trip around the world can go slowly, and so I thought I would share some of my best photos of cycling in Peru.
I have visited the country several times, and the last time was in 2010, during my cycling trip from Alaska to Argentina. Of all the countries that I passed through then, I found that Peru offered some of the best cycling.
It is a vast country, offers many different climates and landscapes, has a lot of wilderness areas, and presents the chance to have some great adventures.
Now, I will be the first to admit that I am not the greatest photographer in the world, but I managed to capture one or two photos of cycling in Peru that are at least half decent.
Some are of landscapes, whilst others are the towns or people I met there. As there are quite a few, I will divide them into two or three posts, and below is part 1 of my best photos of cycling in Peru.
Photos of Cycling Peru
Cycling from Tamborapa to Jaen in Peru, I passed this rice field. I love the way the mountains and clouds cast a reflection in it.
Inca Kola – Maybe not perfect re-hydration for a cyclist, but good enough!
There are the ruins of dozens of different civilizations scattered throughout Peru. Kuelap is one of the least well known.
Of course, its the views that make cycling in Peru so spectacular
But those views are earned with hard work – That snake like white line is actually a dirt road I had just cycled up!
Let's not forget the food – A filling caldo is just great for starting or finishing the day!
If Kuelap is unknown to most people, then Markawamachuko is a complete mystery. Visiting there felt like discovering something for the first time, and it had a very Lord of the Rings feel to it.
That's Part 1 of my Best Photos of Cycling in Peru – Part 2 will follow in a few days time!
Here's my bike touring blog post from cycling in Peru:
- Cycling from Zumba in Ecuador to Namballe in Peru
- Cycling from Namballe to San Ignacio
- San Ignacio to Tamborapa
- Cycling from Tamborapa to Jaen
- Day off in Jaen
- Another Day off in Jaen
- Cycling from Jaen to Bagua Grande
- Cycling from Bagua Grande to Pedro Ruiz
- Bikepacking from Pedro Ruiz to Tingo Viejo
- Kuelap in Peru – The Machu Picchu of the North of Peru
- Cycling from Tingo Viejo to Leymebamba
- Day off in Leymebamba
- Another day off in Leymebamba
- Cycling from Leymebamba to Balsas
- Cycling from Balsas to Celendin
- Day off Celendin
- Cycling from Celendin to Cajamarca
- Time off in Cajamarca Part 1
- Another day off in Cajamarca
- Independence Day in Peru
- Yet Another day off in Cajamarca
- Cycling from Cajamarca to San Marcos in Peru – Bike Touring South America
- Cycling from San Marcos to Cajabamba
- Cycling from Cajabamba to Huamachuco
- Day off in Huamachuco
- Markawamachuko – An unknown archaeological site in Peru (Marcahuamachuco)
- Cycling from Huamachuco to Shorey
- Cycling from Shorey to Santiago de Chuco
- Cycling from Santiago de Chuco to Angasmarca
- Cycling from Angasmarca to Mollepata
- Cycling from Mollepata to Pallasca
- Day off in Pallasca
- Cycling from Pallasca to 30 kms past Chuqicara
- Cycling from 30 kms past Chuqicara to near Caraz
- Cycling from near Caraz to Caraz
- Day off in Caraz
- Comparing Overland Travel by Bicycle and 4WD
- Cycling from Caraz to Huaraz
- Day off in Huaraz
- Cycling from Huaraz to Conococha
- Conococha to Pachapaqui
- Cycling from Pachapaqui to Huallanca in Peru – Bike Touring Blogs
- Cycling from Huallanca to Chavinillo
- Cycling from Chavinillo to Huánuco
- Day off in Huanuco
- Day off in Huánuco
- Cycling from Huánuco to Huariaca
- Cycling from Huariaca to Cerro de Pasco
- Cycling from Cerro de Pasco to Junin
- Cycling from Junin to La Oroya
- Cycling from La Oroya to Huancayo
- Day off in Hunacayo
- Cycling from Huancayo to A small village
- Cycling from A small village to Mayocc
- Cycling from Mayocc to Ayacucho
- Day off in Ayacucho
- Cycling from Ayacucho to El Abra Tocctoccsa
- Cycling from El Abra Tocctoccsa to Chumbes
- Cycling from Chumbes to Uripa
- Cycling from Uripa to Andahuaylas
- Cycling from Andahuaylas to Kishuara
- Cycling from Kishuara to Abancay
- Cycling from Abancay to Curahuasi
- Cycling from Curahuasi to Limatambo
- Cycling from Limatambo to Cusco
- Time off in Cusco
- Cycling from Cusco to Combapata
- Cycling from Combapata to Ayaviri
- Cycling from Ayaviri to Puno
- Time off In Puno
- Cycling from Puno to Juli
- Cycling from Juli to Copacabana, Bolivia