There are 7 ferries per week sailing from Naxos to Donoussa island, with the quickest ferry taking just one hour and 10 minutes. This Naxos Donoussa ferry guide has all the information you need to help plan your trip.
How to get from Naxos to Donoussa
Donoussa Island is a small island in the Cyclades, Greece, and has a population of just 167 inhabitants. It's located near Naxos, and is known as one of the Lesser Cyclades or Smaller Cyclades islands.
While you can travel from Athens to Donoussa, and the Amorgos to Donoussa route is also popular, most people travel from Naxos to Donoussa. As a result, here are plenty of regular connections to choose from when planning to travel to Donoussa.
During the peak months of summer, there can be up to 7 ferries per week from Naxos to Donoussa. These ferries to Donoussa from Naxos are operated by Blue Star Ferries and Small Cyclades Lines (Express Skopelitis).
Ferries to Donoussa from Naxos
The quickest ferry from Naxos going to Donoussa takes around 1 hour and 10 minutes. The slowest ferry sailing to Donoussa from Naxos island takes around 3 hours and 55 minutes.
There are ferries every day of the week except on Sundays. There are two Naxos Donoussa ferries on Saturdays. The best place to look at up to date schedules and book tickets online is Ferryhopper.
Prices for the Naxos Donoussa journey are among the most affordable for foot passengers, starting at 7.50 Euro per person. The price for a car is around 19.00 Euro – Not that you really need one. It's very easy to walk everywhere in Donoussa, and part of the attraction of the island!
Blue Star Ferries
The ferry service operated by Blue Star Ferries offers the quickest journey time at just 1 hour and 10 minutes. This is a very large vessel, and if you suffer from sea-sickness, by the best choice!
You can get e-tickets when you book online at Ferryhopper. If you are traveling with a car to more Greek islands, consider signing up for their loyalty scheme in order to get discounts.
Small Cyclades Lines
This independent ferry operator has been running for years around the Lesser Cyclades islands. Their vessel, the Express Skopelitis is a small boat that does also have some room for vehicles. In fact, every time I've taken it, I'm surprised by how they squeeze the trucks onboard!
If you're planning island hopping holidays in the Lesser Cyclades group, it is good to get acquainted with their schedules and route. If you have a tendency to get sea sick though, check the weather forecast. I wouldn't want to be taking the Naxos to Donoussa journey in more than 5 Beaufort!
Donoussa Island Travel Tips
A few travel tips for visiting Donoussa island:
- Ferry services leave from the port in Naxos Town (Chora) in Naxos. Arriving ferries dock at Stavros (Chora) port in Donoussa.
- For hotels in Donoussa, take a look at Booking. They have a great range of rooms to rent in Donoussa and areas to consider staying include Chora. If you are traveling to Donoussa in the height of the tourist season, I advise reserving apartments in Donoussa a month or so in advance.
- Donoussa has some incredible beaches! Don't leave without spending time on Livadi, Kedros, Tripiti, and Stavros beaches!
- The best place to look at Greek ferries online is Ferryhopper. They combine all the information from the different ferry companies in one place, making it easier to plan island hopping trips.
- If you have a specific travel date in mind, I think it's better that you book your Naxos to Donoussa ferry tickets in advance, especially during the busy summer months.
- Make sure you know what time your ferry leaves and try to be there an hour before boarding! The port in Naxos is on the edge of Naxos town. Ferry connections to Donoussa arrive at Stavros port town.
- For more travel insights on Donoussa, Naxos and more destinations in Greece, sign up for my newsletter.
- Related travel post suggestion: Donoussa Travel Guide
How to go to from Naxos to Donoussa FAQ
Some of the most frequently asked questions about traveling to Donoussa from Naxos include:
How can we get to Donoussa from Naxos?
In order to take the journey from Naxos to Donoussa the best way is by using a ferry. There are up to 7 ferries per week sailing to Donoussa from Naxos.
Is there an airport in Donoussa?
The tiny Greek island of Donoussa does not have its own airport. The closest airport to Donoussa is on Naxos, which has flight connections with Athens.
How long is the ferry ride from Naxos to Donoussa?
The ferries to the Greek island of Donoussa from Naxos take between 1 hour and 10 minutes and 3 hours and 55 minutes. Ferry operators on the Naxos Donoussa route may include Blue Star Ferries and Small Cyclades Lines (Express Skopelitis).
Where do I buy ferry tickets to Donoussa?
I find that the Ferryhopper website is the best place to book ferry tickets online. I think it's better that you book your Naxos to Donoussa ferry tickets in advance, you could also use a local travel agency in Greece.
Dave is a travel writer who spends his time traveling around and writing about Greece. As well as writing this guide about ferries from Naxos to Donoussa, he's also written many more travel blogs about destinations in Greece. Follow Dave on social media for travel inspiration from Greece and beyond: