You can take a ferry every day of the week from Amorgos to Donoussa apart from Sundays. The journey time is between 45 minutes and 1 hour 15 minutes.
Donoussa island in Greece
Donoussa is a small, peaceful island with a population of less than 170 inhabitants. One of the Lesser Cyclades islands, Donoussa is known for its wild and beautiful beaches, and it's relaxed pace of life.
Donoussa is a popular onward destination after having visited Amorgos, due to its close proximity. It's also pretty cheap to get between the two Greek islands – Passenger ticket prices can start from as low as 5.50 Euro.
How to get from Amorgos to Donoussa
There isn't an airport in the Cyclades island of Donoussa, so the only way to travel from Amorgos to Donoussa is by using the ferry network.
During the peak travel season, there is at least one ferry every day of the week apart from Sunday from Amorgos to Donoussa. Ferry companies providing these ferries to Donoussa from Amorgos are operated by Small Cyclades Lines (Express Skopelitis), and Blue Star Ferries.
Note that Amorgos has two ferry ports – Katapola and Aegiali. The Blue Star Ferries leave from Aegiali, and Small Cyclades Lines leaves from both ports.
Travel tip: Make sure you know which port to depart from!!
Ferry Service to Donoussa from Amorgos
The quicker Blue Star Ferries boat crossing from Amorgos going to Donoussa takes around 45 minutes. The slower Small Cyclades Lines vessel sailing to Donoussa from Amorgos island takes around 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Ferry tickets can be booked at travel agencies on the island or online. The best place to look at up to date timetables and for booking ferry tickets online is Ferryhopper.
Donoussa Travel Tips
A few travel tips for visiting the Cyclades island of Donoussa:
- Ferries depart from Katapola and Aegiali ports in Amorgos. Ferries arrive at Stavros (Chora) port in Donoussa. There's not really any need to be at the departure port much earlier than a half hour before departure.
- For rooms to rent in Donoussa, I recommend using Booking. They have a great range of accommodation in Donoussa, and most of the hotels and rooms to rent are located in Stavros Town (the main port town). If you are traveling to Donoussa in the peak months of summer, I advise reserving where to stay in Donoussa a month or so in advance. We hear that August rooms can be booked up to a year in advance by returning visitors who love the island so much!
- Donoussa has some fantastic beaches. Don't be put off by the hike to Livadi beach – It's totally worth it!
- The easiest way to get hold of ferry tickets in Greece is by using Ferryhopper. Although I think it's better to book your Amorgos to Donoussa ferry tickets in advance, especially during the height of the tourist season.
- If you plan on island hopping around the Lesser Cyclades, get to know the Express Skopelitis route. It connects Naxos and the satellite islands of Koufonisia, Iraklia, Schinoussa as well as Donoussa.
- If you are interested in more information about Donoussa, the island of Amorgos and other Greek destinations, sign up for my newsletter.
- Start planning what to see and do in Donoussa: Things to do in Donoussa Travel Guide
How to get from Amorgos to Donoussa FAQ
A few of the frequently asked questions about traveling to Donoussa from Amorgos include:
How can I get to Donoussa from Amorgos?
In order to take a trip from Amorgos to Donoussa the best way is by ferry. There is at least one ferry a day apart from Sunday sailing to Donoussa from Amorgos.
Is there an airport on Donoussa?
As there is no airport in Donoussa island, so the only way to go to from Amorgos to Donoussa is by taking a ferry. The airport nearest to Donoussa is at Naxos.
How long is the ferry ride from Amorgos to Donoussa?
The ferries to the island of Donoussa from Amorgos take between 45 minutes and 1 hour and 15 minutes. Ferry operators on the Amorgos Donoussa route may include Small Cyclades Lines (Express Skopelitis), and Blue Star Ferries.
Where can I buy tickets for the ferry to Donoussa?
The best place to look at Greek ferries online is Ferryhopper. Although I think it's better to book your Amorgos to Donoussa ferry tickets in advance, you could also use a local travel agency in Greece.
This guide should have everything you need to know about getting from Amorgos to Donoussa. Make sure you book in advance or buy your tickets at an agency when possible so that you can get the best fares and make travel plans easier. If all else fails, Ferryhopper has up-to-date schedules and ticket purchasing convenience right at your fingertips!
Have any questions? Leave a comment below and I'll answer if I can!
Dave is a travel writer who spends his time traveling around and writing about Greece. In addition to writing this travel blog about ferries from Amorgos to Donoussa, he's also written many more travel blogs about destinations in Greece. Follow Dave on social media for travel inspiration from Greece and beyond:
Leave a Reply