There are 1 or 2 ferries per day sailing from Folegandros to Ios in the high season. The crossing travel time is about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Visiting Ios after Folegandros
The Greek island of Ios can be a good choice as the island you visit next after Folegandros. Although the nature of these two Cyclades islands are quite different, you'll get to experience a different destination.
Ios has a little bit of a reputation as a party island for twenty somethings, but there is much more to it than that. There are some excellent hiking trails, glorious beaches, and the sunsets in Ios are out of this world!
Ios is only 25 miles away from Folegandros as well, making it a quick ferry ride.
Folegandros Ios Ferry Route
There isn't an airport in the Cyclades island of Ios, so the only way to go to from Folegandros to Ios is to use a ferry.
During the the busiest months of summer, you can expect 1 or 2 ferries a day from Folegandros to Ios. These ferries to Ios from Folegandros are operated by Blue Star Ferries, Zante ferries, and Maistros Santorini.
The quickest ferry journey from Folegandros going to Ios takes around 1 hour and 10 minutes. The slowest ferry boat sailing to Ios from Folegandros island takes around 1 hour and 20 minutes.
Check out Ferryhopper which has all the information you need about the crossings, including the latest ferry schedule and ticket prices.
Ferry Operators Folegandros to Ios
As mentioned, Blue Star Ferries, Zante ferries, and Maistros Santorini. are the ferry companies which operate these routes.
If possible, take a look at the Blue Star Ferries timetables on Ferryhopper, and see if you can get one to fit your itinerary. These are usually the cheapest way to get to Ios from Folegandros island, and I've seen the price for a ticket start from as low as 5.50 Euros.
Ios Island Travel Tips
A few travel tips for visiting the Cyclades island of Ios:
- Ferries leave from Karavostasis ferry port in Folegandros. Passengers are advised to be at the port at least a half hour before the boat is due for departure so there is time to board.
- Arriving ferries dock at the main port, called Gialos in Ios. If you plan to walk up to the Chora, keep in mind that it's only 10 minutes but all uphill.
- Areas to consider staying include Chora, Milopotas, and Manganari. I've a complete guide here on where to stay in Ios island Greece.
- If you are traveling to Ios in the the months of July, August, and September, I strongly advise reserving rooms to rent in Ios a month or so in advance.
- For some quality beach time, head to these beaches in Ios: Loretzaina , Manganari, Kalamos, Agia Theodoti, Milopotas, and Psathi. Take a look at my guide Best things to do in Ios
- The easiest way of checking fares, travel times, and booking ferry tickets in Greece is by using Ferryhopper. I think it's better that you book your Folegandros to Ios ferry tickets in advance, especially during the busiest time of summer.
- You can get more travel insights about Ios, Folegandros and other Greek destinations, please subscribe to my newsletter.
- Not sure if Ios is for you? Take a look at these other Greek islands near Folegandros to see if there's one better suited!
Most younger people go to Ios for the party scene. Other go for the beaches. In addition, some extras sights and attractions to keep a watch out for include:
- Ios is a beautiful island with plenty of historical and archaeological attractions to visit.
- Homer's grave, the Venetian castle and ancient aqueduct are all worth seeing.
- There are also several museums on Ios which are worth a visit.
How to take the journey from Folegandros to Ios FAQ
A few of the questions readers who visit my website have about itineraries to Ios from Folegandros include:
How can we get to Ios from Folegandros?
The only way to make the journey from Folegandros to Ios is by taking a ferry. There are 7 to 9 ferries per week sailing to the island of Ios from Folegandros, and the distance is about 38kms.
How many hours is the ferry from Folegandros to Ios?
The ferries making the trip to the Greek island of Ios from Folegandros take between 1 hour and 10 minutes and 1 hour and 20 minutes. Ferry operators on the Folegandros Ios route may include Blue Star Ferries, Zante ferries, and Maistros Santorini.
Which ferry companies sail from Folegandros to Ios?
Blue Star Ferries, Zante ferries, and Maistros Santorini all operate direct ferries to Ios from Folegandros. Sea Jets do not currently provide a service.
How do I buy ferry tickets to Ios?
The best place to buy tickets online is Ferryhopper. I think it's better that you book your Folegandros to Ios ferry tickets in advance, but you could also wait until you are in Greece, and use a travel agency.
I hope this guide has provided you with all the answers you need on getting between the Greek islands of Folegandros and Ios. Do you have any questions to add? Have you sailed this route and have a favourite ferry operator, found a way to keep the cost of Greek island hopping down, or have any other travel insights to share? Leave a comment below!
Dave is a travel writer based in Athens, Greece. As well as writing this guide about ferries from Folegandros to Ios, he's written many more guides to Greece and the islands on this site. Follow Dave on social media to keep in contact for travel inspiration from Greece and beyond: