Sikinos is a lovely quiet island to visit after you've been to Santorini. Here's how to get the ferry from Santorini to Sikinos in Greece.
Sikinos island in Greece
Many people step off the ferry in Folegandros from Santorini and think they are a world away. Trust me, step off the ferry in Sikinos from Santorini, and you'll feel a galaxy away!
The two islands of Sikinos and Santorini could not be more different in nature. Whereas Santorini is the most popular destination in the Cyclades, receiving thousands of visitors per day, Sikinos has a population of less than 300 hundred.
It's quite a sleepy island, memorably described to me as the Greek island you go to if you want to read a few books.
I agree 100% with that – Sikinos is one of my favourite quiet islands in Greece, and I can't wait to return there soon!
Related: Best things to do in Sikinos island in Greece.
How to get to Sikinos from Santorini
There is no airport in the Cyclades island of Sikinos, so the only way to take a trip from Santorini to Sikinos is by ferry.
During the busy summer months, there may be up to up to 2 ferries per day from Santorini to Sikinos. These ferries to Sikinos from Santorini are operated by Zante Ferries and SeaJets.
Ferries from Santorini may stop at other islands before they reach Sikinos. The most common stopping point is at Folegandros, which is the island right next to it.
You can see from this map the route the Santorini Sikinos ferry is likely to make.
Ferries to Sikinos from Santorini
The fastest connection from Santorini going to Sikinos takes around 1 hour and 15 minutes, and the slowest ferry boat sailing to Sikinos from Santorini island takes around 2 hours.
Keep in mind that the faster ferry crossings will normally have higher ticket prices, and that prices may also be higher in the peak travel month of August.
I find that Ferryhopper is a good website to use to book ferry tickets online.
Sikinos Island Travel Tips
A few travel tips for visiting the Cyclades island of Sikinos:
- Booking offers a way to check out what hotels and accommodation in Sikinos there are. I stayed at a great little self-catering apartment above the Kapari restaurant.
- Ferryhopper provides a constantly updated booking platform for ferries in Greece. There's no need to shop around for prices – you'll get the same rates here as if you booked with the ferry operators themselves.
- The island of Sikinos is small enough to walk most places (if you have time), and there is some public transport. You might consider renting a vehicle for a day or two though, so start looking what you need to take as an International drivers licence. Read my tips here on renting a car in Greece.
- Welcome is the service to use for pre-booked taxis from your Santorini hotel to the port in Santorini – at regular taxi prices!
What to see in Sikinos Greece
When you're not too busy reading a book, you might choose to do and see some of the following in Sikinos:
- Sightseeing in Kastro Chora
- Chryssopigi Monastery
- Walk around Chorio in Chora
- Episkopi Monument
- Beaches in Sikinos
- Hiking in Sikinos
- Sunset meal at the Manalis winery
How to make a trip from Santorini to Sikinos FAQ
Some commonly asked questions on how to get to Sikinos from Santorini include:
How can we get to Sikinos from Santorini?
In order to make the trip from Santorini to Sikinos the best way is by taking a ferry. There are up to up to 2 ferries per day sailing to Sikinos from Santorini during the summer months. Ferries may stop at other islands along the way such as Folegandros.
Is there an airport in Sikinos?
As there isn't an airport in the Greek island of Sikinos, the only way to take the journey from Santorini to Sikinos is by the ferry services. The closest airports to Sikinos would be on the islands of Milos and Santorini.
How long does the ferry from Santorini to Sikinos take?
The ferries to Sikinos island from Santorini take between 1 hour and 15 minutes and 2 hours. Ferry operators on the Santorini Sikinos route may include Zante Ferries and SeaJets.
Where can I buy tickets for the ferry to Sikinos?
The easiest way to get hold of ferry tickets in Greece is by using the Ferryhopper website. I think it's better that you book your Santorini to Sikinos ferry tickets as much in advance as you can. If you prefer to be a bit more flexible, you could use a travel agency in Greece when you have arrived.
More island hopping guides
Here's a few other Greek island hopping guides you might want to take a look at:
- How to travel from Athens to Sikinos island by ferry
- Santorini Island Hopping To Other Cyclades Islands Nearby
- How to get from Sikinos to Folegandros by ferry
- How to get from Ios to Sikinos in Greece
- Traveling from Athens to the Cyclades Islands Greece
– Dave Briggs
Dave is a travel writer who's been living in Greece since 2015. He's spent the time since then writing travel blogs and guides such as this one on getting from Santorini to Sikinos by ferry. He hasn't visited all the Greek islands yet, but has plans to!
Follow Dave on social media for travel inspiration from Greece and beyond: Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, YouTube.
Leave a Reply