The ferry from Santorini to Crete leaves 4 times a day, and the journey can take less than 4 hours on the quicker Santorini Crete ferries. This travel guide on how to get from Santorini to Crete in Greece gives you all the information you need to know.
How to get from Santorini to Crete
Even though Santorini has an airport, flying from between Santorini and Crete directly is not possible. This means that the only way to get to Crete from Santorini is by ferry.
The good news though, is that the two Greek islands are reasonably close together, and there are plenty of Santorini to Crete ferry services to choose from.
The fastest travel time by ferry from Santorini going to Crete takes around 1 hour and 50 minutes. The slowest ferry boat sailing to Crete from Santorini island takes around 6 hours and 10 minutes.
Ferries to Crete from Santorini
During the peak travel season, you can expect up to between 3 and four ferries per day from Santorini to Crete. These ferries to Crete from Santorini are operated by SeaJets, Golden Star Ferries, Minoan Lines, and Prevelis.
The ticket prices are more or less the same, ranging between 65 and 68 Euro per passenger. Keep in mind that peak season travel may be more expensive than the shoulder seasons.
When it comes to booking Santorini Crete ferry tickets online, the simplest place to look at schedules for Greek ferries is at the Ferryhopper website.
Crete Island Travel Tips
A few travel tips for visiting the Greek island of Crete:
- Ferries leave from Athinios port, a few kilometres from Fira in Santorini. The ferries then arrive at the port in Heraklion in Crete.
- For places to stay in Crete, I suggest using Booking. They have a great selection of where to stay in Crete and there are plenty of places to stay in Heraklion before you move on to other parts of the island of Crete.
- When you're in Heraklion, the main place of interest to visit is the Palace of Knossos. I've also a guide here on other day trips from Heraklion you can take.
- Ferryhopper is perhaps the easiest site to use when it comes to booking Ferry tickets online. Although I think it's better to book your Santorini to Crete ferry tickets in advance, especially during the busiest time of summer.
- For more travel information about Crete, Santorini and more places in Greece sign up for my newsletter.
- You might also like to read: Taking a road trip around Crete
Santorini to Crete Ferry FAQ
Readers sometimes ask these question about traveling to Crete from Santorini:
How do you get to Crete from Santorini?
The only way to make a journey from Santorini to Crete is by taking a ferry. There are between 3 and 4 ferries per day sailing to Crete from Santorini.
Is there an airport in Crete?
Crete has three airports, which are in Heraklion, Chania, and Sitia.
How long is the ferry ride from Santorini to Crete?
The ferries to Crete island from Santorini take between 1 hour and 50 minutes and 6 hours and 10 minutes. Ferry operators on the Santorini Crete route may include SeaJets, Golden Star Ferries, Minoan Lines, and Prevelis.
How can I buy tickets for the ferry to Crete?
I find that the Ferryhopper website is the best place to book ferry tickets online. Although I think it's better to book your Santorini to Crete ferry tickets in advance, you might also prefer to use a travel agency in Greece when you have arrived.
Dave is a travel writer currently based in Greece In addition to creating this travel guide to ferries from Santorini to Crete, he's also written hundreds more travel guides to Greek destinations. Follow Dave on social media for travel inspiration from Greece and beyond: