Heraklion is a popular place to spend a few days in Crete, as you can easily take excursions to see the rest of the island. Here's the best Heraklion tours and day trips from Heraklion to choose from.
Heraklion Day Trips
Most people heading to the Greek island of Crete will spend some time in Heraklion. Whilst there, it is possible to take a number of different tours to see other parts of the island.
Whether you want to walk the Samaria Gorge, visit Spinalonga, or explore archaeological sites, these day trips from Heraklion will help you experience more of Crete.
In the list below, I've chosen 10 of the best day tours in Heraklion. If you are also interested in an Heraklion sightseeing itinerary, check out this guide on things to do in Heraklion later.
Frequently Asked Questions About Heraklion
These answers to commonly asked questions about Heraklion in Crete can help you plan your activities.
What are the best tours in Crete from Heraklion?
The 10 best tours of Crete from Heraklion are:
- Knossos Palace Skip-the-Queue Entry with Guided Walking Tour
- Day Tour of Spinalonga, Agios Nikolaos Elounda Plaka
- Crete: Land Rover Safari on Minoan Route
- Heraklion: Afternoon Sailing Trip to Dia Island
- From Heraklion: Full-Day Gramvousa and Balos Tour
- From Heraklion: Chania, Lake Kournas and Rethymno Tour
- Santorini: Full-Day Tour from Crete
- Samaria Gorge: Day Trip from Agia Pelagia, Heraklion & Malia
- Crete: Day Tour to the Island of Chrissi from Heraklion
- From Heraklion: Day Excursion to Elafonisi
What are the best outdoor activities in Heraklion?
Popular sport activities in Heraklion include:
- Hiking / Trekking
- Jet Skiing
- Scuba Diving
- Helicopter tours
How many days do you need in Heraklion?
Three days in Heraklion (also known as Iraklio) is enough time to explore the city, appreciate its history, culture and cuisine, and also take a day trip to other parts of Crete such as the Samaria Gorge or Spinalonga.
Please pin this guide to Heraklion day trips
If you are a Pinterest user, why not pin this guide to day trips in Heraklion for later? This way you'll easily be able to find the best Crete tours from Heraklion again in the future.
Sign up for Free Greece Travel Guides
Did you enjoy this Heraklion travel guide, and are interested in more travel guides to Greece? Sign up for my guides below, and I'll send you out useful travel tips, advice, and guides so you can plan the perfect vacation in Greece![mailmunch-form id=”681765″]
More about Crete
You might also like these other travel blogs about Crete.