For this trip of cycling from Alaska to Argentina, I have decided to use a trailer instead of rear panniers. My trailer of choice is the Bob Yak.
There are others available, but the Bobyak trailer is more widespread, and by definition, more field tested. I have never ridden with a bicycle trailer, so it should be a learning curve !
Because the Bob Yak's wheel perfectly tracks the rear wheel of your bike, the trailer is also ideal for off-road trails. The trailer works well with full suspension bikes.
Features of the Bob Yak:
- Patented BOB attachment system
- Attaches quickly and easily – in a matter of seconds
- Single wheeled performance and cargo versatility
- Trailer tracks rear wheel of bicycle – ideal for narrow roads and single track
- Low centre of gravity for stability
- Keeps the weight off your bicycle for improved handling and performance
- 70 lb capacity lets you carry all your gear for touring or stuff for commuting
- Chromoly construction for strength and durability
- Rear wheel features aluminium rim, stainless steel spokes and cartridge bearings for performance and durability
Edit – 01/08/09 — After 2 weeks of using the Bob trailer, I have to say that I am not entirely happy with it. traveling uphill on a gravel track is a lot harder work that if I was using just racks and panniers. I've learned to load it a little better now, and hope that the road ahead will be easier. I'll update again in another couple of weeks.
Edit 08/11/09 — Ok, now, after three months of cycling with the Bob, I am more of a convert. Sure, I am travelling slower, and the hills still seem painful at times, but the Bob proves to be versatile. In addition,. every time I see a bicycle tourist with a broken rear spoke, I am thankful that I chose the Bob Yak over panniers !!
Edit 13/02/10 – The Bob Yak is still performing admirably, and certainly brings in friendly conversations from the locals of the countries I pass through! There have been no technical problems so far, and what has surprised me a great deal, is how little the tyre has worn. Seven months, still on the same tyre !
A year into the trip, and i have to say that the Bob Yak trailer is more than holding its own. Its well built, sturdy and reliable… and that's exactly what you want from a long term piece of bicycle touring kit!
Bike Touring Gear
Check out these other bike touring gear blog posts:
- Steel Touring Bike Review: Stanforth Skyelander 700c Touring Bicycle
- Stanforth Kibo+ Expedition Bicycle – Travel The World by Bike
- Stanforth Kibo Expedition Bicycle – 26 Inch Wheel Steel Frame Touring Bike
- Dawes Sardar Touring Bicycle
- Brooks C17 Review | Is the Brooks Cambium C17 good for bike touring?
- Brooks B17 Saddle – The Best Brooks Touring Saddle For Your Butt!
- Butterfly Handlebars – Are Trekking Bars The Best for Bicycle Touring?