There are 4 or 5 ferries per day sailing from Skiathos to Skopelos in the summer, and the trip takes about an hour. Here you can find out more about the Skiathos Skopelos ferry ride, where to buy tickets, and other useful travel information.
Large scale package tourism still hasn't taken root here thankfully, but as with almost every Greek island, August is the busiest time of year. Visit Skopelos in July or September if you want the best combination of warm weather and fewer tourists.
As Skopelos doesn't have an airport, you'll need to take a ferry to get there.
How to get from Skiathos to Skopelos
During the high season, it's very easy to take a ferry from Skiathos to Skopelos thanks to the regular services offered by Blue Star Ferries, Anes Ferries, Aegean Flying Dolphins, and SeaJets.
The travel time ranges from half an hour to an hour and a half depending on which ferry you use, and which port you arrive at in Skopelos.
Which reminds me – Skopelos has two ferry ports you can arrive – Chora and Glossa. Make sure you choose the right one when booking accommodation etc! Take a look at the map here to see what I mean.
The quickest ferry crossing is between Skiathos and Glossa port, while the longest crossing is the one to Skopelos town port.
The simplest place to look at schedules for Greek ferries is at the Ferryhopper website.
All ferries from Skiathos depart from the main port in Skiathos town.
If you've arrived by plane to Skiathos airport, the best way to get to the ferry port is to take a taxi.
During the peak season there may be a queue, so factor that into your travel itinerary and plans.
I recommend that you book your ferry tickets in advance with Ferryhopper. If you want to be more flexible, you could leave it until you get to Skiathos port and buy them there.
Greek ferries rarely completely sell out, but these things do happen!
During the peak months of summer, you may expect up to 7 ferries a day in the summer from Skiathos to Skopelos.
Ferries start leaving at 10.00 in the morning, and the last ferry departs Skiathos at 16.10 for Skopelos Chora. Glossa ferries sometimes run until as late as 22.00
Ticket prices are quite reasonable on this ferry route – somewhere between 8.00 and 18.50 Euro.
Skopelos Island Travel Tips
A few travel tips for visiting Skopelos island:
- All ferries from Skiathos depart Skiathos Port. Ferries arrive in Skopelos at either Glossa or Chora.
- Skopelos Town is a good area to stay, but there is accommodation all over the island. Use Booking to reserve your hotels at least a few months in advance of your holiday.
- For some quality beach time, head to these beaches in Skopelos: Kastani Beach, Milia Beach, Stafylos Beach, Velanio Beach, Adrina Beaches, and Panormos Beach.
- One of the best places to look at ferry schedules and to book tickets online is at Ferryhopper. I recommend you book your Skiathos to Skopelos ferry tickets in advance, especially during the busy summer months.
- For further travel information and helpful tips about Skopelos, Skiathos and other places in Greece, subscribe to my newsletter.
- Oh, and if you can get through your holiday there without singing at least one Abba song from Mamma Mia, you've done well!
FAQ about ferry connections from Skiathos to Skopelos
The most frequently asked questions readers sometimes have about traveling to Skopelos from Skiathos include:
How do we get to Skopelos from Skiathos?
You can only travel between Skiathos and Skopelos by taking a ferry. There are up to 7 ferries a day in the summer sailing to the island of Skopelos from Skiathos, and the ferry trip takes between a half hour, and one and a half hours.
Is there an airport on Skopelos?
There is no airport on Skopelos island. The closest airports are at neighbouring Skiathos island, and over at Volos on the Greek mainland.
How long is the ferry ride from Skiathos to Skopelos?
The journey time on the Skopelos route from Skiathos varies depending on the vessel. The quickest direct ferries can take between 15 and 30 minutes to reach Glossa port. Slower ferries ti the Chora Skopelos port might take a hour and a half.
Where do you get ferry tickets to Skopelos?
The easiest way to get hold of ferry tickets in Greece is by using Ferryhopper. Although I recommend you book your Skiathos to Skopelos ferry tickets in advance, you might also prefer to use a travel agency in Greece when you have arrived.
Is Skopelos expensive to visit?
Given that it isn't exactly under the radar any more thanks to Mamma Mia, Skopelos remains relatively inexpensive. Compare prices in Skopelos with destinations in the Cyclades at the same time of year, and you will see quite a difference!
You might also like to read:
- Which Are The Best Greek Islands for Couples?
- UNESCO Sites in Greece
- Best Places To Go In Greece – 25 Amazing Places To Visit In Greece
- Ferries in Greece – The most ridiculously in-depth guide to Greek ferries
- 10 Days in Greece: Fantastic Greece Itinerary Suggestions
- Things to know before traveling to Greece – Travel Tips
Dave is a travel writer from the UK who lives in and writes about Greece. As well as writing this travel blog post about ferries from Skiathos to Skopelos, he's also written many more travel blogs about destinations in Greece. Follow Dave on social media for travel inspiration from Greece and beyond: