There are four Naxos to Koufonisia ferry crossings per day with the quickest one taking just 40 minutes. In this guide to taking a ferry from Naxos to Koufonisia, I'll share with you some useful tips for choosing which Naxos Koufonisia ferry to take when traveling in Greece.
Sailing to Koufonisia
A quick word before we start. You may see Koufonisia sometimes referred to as Koufonissi or Koufonisi. This is because technically speaking, Koufonisia is actually made up of two islands – Ano Koufonisi and Kato Koufonisi.
Of these two, only Ano Koufonisi is inhabited. This is where all ferries will arrive at. Over time, the more accepted version in English is to call the destination simply Koufonisia. Confused? Welcome to Greece!
For the purposes of simplicity, we'll call it Koufonisia for the rest of this guide!
Ferries from Naxos to Koufonisia
The Greek islands of Naxos and Koufonisia are separated by only a short stretch of water, and there are regular ferry services between the two.
During the height of the tourist season, there can be up to 4 ferries per day, and on some days 5 ferries from Naxos to Koufonisia. These ferries to Koufonisia from Naxos are operated by SeaJets, Blue Star Ferries, Fast Ferries and Small Cyclades Lines (Express Skopelitis).
The fastest travel time by ferry from Naxos going to Koufonisia takes around 40 minutes. The slowest ferry boat sailing to Koufonisia from Naxos island takes around 2 hours and 35 minutes.
Which Naxos Koufonissi Ferry To Take?
Unless time is of the essence, I'd suggest getting one of the slower ferries. This is because the fastest ferry is over 3 times the price of the slowest ferries at 25.70 Euro! The cost of a slower ferry is around the 7.50 Euro mark – a much more budget friendly island-hopping option!
The most expensive ferry company is SeaJets on the Naxos to Koufonissi route. Small Cyclades Lines is the cheapest crossing on the ferry schedule.
Where to book ferry tickets online
In the past, you had to use a travel agency to book ferries. Nowadays, life is easier and you can book an e ticket for journeys between the Cyclades islands online.
Keep in mind that prices can change seasonally. The simplest place to look at schedules and up to date ferry ticket pricing for Greek ferries is at the Ferryscanner website.
Koufonisia Island Travel Tips
A few travel tips for visiting the Greek island of Koufonisia:
- Ferries depart from the port in Naxos Town (Chora) in Naxos. Ferries arrive at the main port in Chora in Koufonisia.
- For apartments in Koufonisia, take a look at Booking. They have a great choice of accommodation in Koufonisia and areas to consider staying include Chora. If you are traveling to Koufonisia in the busiest time of summer, I advise reserving rooms to rent in Koufonisia a month or so in advance.
- Beach lovers recommend these beaches in Koufonisia: Fanos, Pori, Finikas, Italida, and Ammos.
- The easiest way to get hold of ferry tickets in Greece is by using Ferryhopper. Although I suggest you book your Naxos to Koufonisia ferry tickets in advance, especially during the peak months of summer, you can always use local ticket and travel agents in Greece.
- If you are interested in more information about Koufonisia, Naxos and more places in Greece please subscribe to my newsletter.
- You might also like to read: Ferries from Naxos to other Greek islands
How to travel from Naxos to Koufonisia FAQ
A few of the frequently asked questions about how to get to Koufonisia from Naxos include:
How do we get to Koufonisia from Naxos?
The only way to travel from Naxos to Koufonisia is to take a ferry. There are 4 ferries per day, and on some days 5 ferries sailing to the island of Koufonisia from Naxos.
Is there an airport on Koufonisia?
There is no airport at Koufonisia. The closest island with an airport is Naxos which has flights to and from Athens.
How long is the ferry ride from Naxos to Koufonisia?
The ferries to Koufonisia from Naxos take between 40 minutes and 2 hours and 35 minutes. Ferry operators on the Naxos Koufonisia route may include SeaJets, Blue Star Ferries, and Small Cyclades Lines (Express Skopelitis).
Where can I buy tickets for the ferry to Koufonisia?
Ferryhopper is perhaps the easiest site to use when it comes to booking Ferry tickets online. Although I suggest you book your Naxos to Koufonisia ferry tickets in advance, you could also wait until you are in Greece, and use a travel agency.
Dave is a travel writer currently based in Greece As well as writing this travel guide about ferries from Naxos to Koufonisia, he's written hundreds of other insightful travel guides to Greek islands and destinations. Follow Dave on social media for travel inspiration from Greece and beyond:
Leave a Reply