There are around three ferries per week sailing from Syros to Kea Island. The Syros Kea ferry travel time takes between 2 hours 25 minutes and 4 hours.
How to get from Syros to Kea
Trying to reach Kea from some of the other islands in the Cyclades of Greece can be a bit of a problem as there are often no direct ferries.
This is not the case with Syros though, and in fact people looking to travel from other islands to Kea may want to transit through Syros. For example, if you are looking at taking a ferry from Milos to Kea, the chances are you will need to swap ferries in Syros.
During the tourist season, you can expect around 3 ferries per week from Syros to Kea. These ferries to Kea from Syros are operated by Bluestar Ferries and SeaJets.
This timetable is more or less standard through the winter months as well, providing an essential connection for Kea island with Syros, which is the administrative center of the Cyclades.
Ferries to Kea from Syros
The fastest ferry from Syros going to Kea takes around 2 hours and 25 minutes on the SeaJets vessel. The slowest ferry boat sailing to Kea from Syros island takes around 4 hours on a Blue Star vessel.
Travel times during the winter months, when the seas are rougher, may be longer.
As a rule, the faster boats are generally more expensive when it comes to ferry ticket prices. Syros to Kea ticket prices on the slower boats can start from as little as 10 Euro for a foot passenger.
Try using Ferryhopper in order to book ferry tickets online, but keep in mind that timetables are only uploaded a couple of months in advance. If you're looking in November for boats sailing to Kea from Syros in August, you're unlikely to find any listed yet!
Kea Island Travel Tips
A few travel tips for visiting the island of Kea:
- Ferries leave from Ermoupoli port in Syros. Arriving ferries dock at Korissia port in Kea.
- For accommodation in Kea, I suggest looking at Booking. They have a great range of places to stay in Kea and areas to consider staying include Otzias, Ioulida, and Korrisia. If you are traveling to Kea in the height of summer, I advise reserving apartments in Kea a month or so in advance.
- Readers recommend visiting the following beaches in Kea: Kaliskia, Sikamia, Pisses, Xila, Koundouros, Spathi, and Kampi.
- One of the best places to look at ferry schedules and to book tickets online is at Ferryhopper. Although I recommend you book your Syros to Kea ferry tickets in advance, especially during the busiest time of summer, some people prefer to use a local ticket agency in Greece.
- You can get more travel tips about Kea, Syros and other Greek islands, please sign up for my newsletter.
- Related blog post suggestion: Ferries from Syros to the Cyclades islands
How to get from Syros to Kea FAQ
Some commonly asked questions about traveling to Kea from Syros include:
How to get to Kea island from Syros?
The way to take a trip from Syros to Kea is by ferry. There are around 3 ferries per week sailing to Kea island from Syros.
Is there an airport on Kea?
The Greek island of Kea (Tzia) does not have an airport. The closest airport to the island is Athens International Airport.
How long is the ferry ride from Syros to Kea?
The ferries to Kea from Syros take between 2 hours and 25 minutes and 4 hours. Ferry operators on the Syros Kea route may include Bluestar Ferries and SeaJets.
Where can I buy tickets for the ferry to Kea?
The easiest way to get hold of Syros Kea ferry tickets in Greece is by using Ferryhopper. Although I recommend you book your Syros to Kea ferry tickets in advance, you might also go to a travel agency in Greece after you arrive.
Dave is a travel writer based in Athens, Greece since 2015. In addition to writing this travel blog post about ferries from Syros to Kea, he's created many other Greek island travel guides. Follow Dave on social media for travel inspiration from Greece and beyond: