There are three Syros to Kythnos ferry services per week during the summer months, operated by Blue Star Ferries and SeaJets. This travel guide has all the details on the Syros Kythnos ferry crossing.
How to get from Syros to Kythnos
The Greek islands of Syros and Kythnos are connected by three weekly ferries operated by two different companies – Blue Star Ferries and SeaJets. SeaJets tend to have slightly more expensive tickets than Blue Star Ferries as they have a faster ferry crossing by almost one hour.
Even so, ticket prices are not expensive. During the winter months, the Syros Kythnos ferry ride costs as little as 8 Euro per foot passenger. During the summer months which is the tourist season in Greece, the Kythnos ferry ticket prices may be a little more.
Try using Ferryhopper in order to book ferry tickets online.
One note about flying: Although Syros has an airport, flying from between Syros and Kythnos is not something you can do. Syros airport only connects with Athens Airport.
Ferries to Kythnos from Syros
The fastest Greek ferry from Syros going to Kythnos takes around 1 hour and 25 minutes. The slow ferry sailing to Kythnos from Syros island takes around 2 hours and 25 minutes.
The boats that make this journey are also the same ones that sail from Syros to Kea island. The Blue Star Ferries vessel is the larger of the two that make the journey, and so if you are prone to seasickness it might be better to take this ferry.
Kythnos Island Travel Tips
A few travel tips for visiting Kythnos island after Syros:
- Ferries leave from Ermoupoli port in Syros. Ferries arrive at Merihas port in Kythnos.
- For accommodation in Kythnos, I suggest using Booking. They have a great selection of places to stay in Kythnos and areas to consider staying include Loutra, Merichas, and Chora (Messaria). If you are traveling to Kythnos in the the months of July, August, and September, I advise reserving rooms to rent in Kythnos a month or so in advance.
- Spend time on some of the top rated beach in Kythnos: Agios Stefanos, Kolona, Loutra, Gaidouromantra, Agios Sostis, Apokrousi (where you can hire kayaks), and Aliki. During the spring and autumn months, the hiking in Kythnos is fantastic. Check out the trail from Hora to Kastro Orias!
- The best place to look at Greek ferries online is Ferryhopper. Although I recommend you book your Syros to Kythnos ferry tickets in advance, especially during the peak months of summer, travel agencies also sell Greek ferry tickets.
- If you are interested in more information about Kythnos, Syros and other places in Greece, sign up for my newsletter.
- You might also like to read: Ferries from Syros to islands in the Cyclades
How to get from Syros to Kythnos FAQ
A few of the frequently asked questions about traveling to Kythnos from Syros include:
How do you get to Kythnos from Syros?
In order to take a trip from Syros to Kythnos the best way is by ferry boat. There are up to 3 ferries per week sailing to the island of Kythnos from Syros.
Is there an airport in Kythnos?
The Cyclades island of Kythnos does not have an airport so you can not fly to or from the island. Check out my deep-dive guide to Greek islands with airports for more details on which islands in Greece have airports.
How many hours is the ferry from Syros to Kythnos?
The ferries to the Greek island of Kythnos from Syros take between 1 hour and 25 minutes and 2 hours and 25 minutes. Ferry operators on the Syros Kythnos route may include Blue Star Ferries and SeaJets.
Where can I buy tickets for the ferry to Kythnos?
I find that the Ferryhopper website is the best place to book ferry tickets online. Although I recommend you book your Syros to Kythnos ferry tickets in advance, you might also prefer to use a travel agency in Greece when you have arrived.
Dave is a travel writer based in Athens, Greece. In addition to writing this blog post about ferries from Syros to Kythnos, he's written hundreds of other insightful travel guides to Greek islands and destinations. Follow Dave on social media for travel inspiration from Greece and beyond: