There are 2 ferries a day sailing from Ios to Mykonos during the high season in Greece, with the quickest Ios Mykonos ferry taking just 1 hour and 35 minutes. This guide has all the information you need to travel from Ios to Mykonos by ferry.
How to get from Ios to Mykonos
Both Ios and Mykonos are two of the most popular Greek islands, especially with people who appreciate good nightlife!
If you're planning to go directly to Mykonos after Ios, here's your options:
The Cyclades island of Ios does not have an airport, so the only way to travel from Ios to Mykonos is by ferry.
Although the port to port distance between Ios and Mykonos is about 100kms, the travel time is quite quick.
The high speed ferry from Ios going to Mykonos takes around 1 hour and 35 minutes. The slowest ferry boat sailing to Mykonos from Ios island takes around 3 hours and 35 minutes.
Ios to Mykonos Ferry Schedules
During the busiest months for travel (May until October), you can expect up to 2 daily ferries from Ios to Mykonos.
Ferry operators on the Ios – Mykonos route are SeaJets and Golden Star Ferries.
As this is really considered a tourist route, ferry ticket prices can be more expensive than journeys of a similar length to other islands near Ios in the Cyclades group.
Fast ferries are generally more expensive when it comes to ferry ticket prices. SeaJets tend to be more expensive than ferries operated by Golden Star Ferries.
As a rough rule, you might expect to pay around 57 Euro for the ferry trip from Ios to Mykonos by ferry.
The best place to search for up to date schedules and book tickets online is Ferryhopper.
Note: During the low season, transport options might be more limited between Ios and other islands.
Mykonos Travel Tips
A few travel tips for traveling from Ios to visit the island of Mykonos:
- Ferries leave from the main port, called Gialos in Ios. Arriving ferries dock at New Tourlos port, a few kilometres from Mykonos Town in Mykonos.
- Passengers generally have to leave their bulky luggage in an area in the hold. Have a small bag ready for the journey which has valuables and items you may want to use on the trip.
- Areas to consider staying in Mykonos include Agios Ioannis, Mykonos Town, Megali Ammos, Psarou, Agios Stefanos, Ornos, and Platis Gialos. I've a breakdown of the different areas to stay on Mykonos island here: Where to stay in Mykonos
- Mykonos is well known for its amazing beaches. For some quality beach time, head to these beaches in Mykonos: Lia, Agrari, Platis Gialos, Agios Sostis, Paradise, Super Paradise, and Kalafatis. My beach guide is a good read, especially if you want to find less touristy places to enjoy the sun: Best beaches in Mykonos
- Looking to continue Greek island hopping after Mykonos? Here's the best Greek islands to visit after Mykonos. Ferryhopper is perhaps the easiest site to use when it comes to booking Ferry tickets online and checking timetables.
- You can get more travel tips about Mykonos, Ios and more places in Greece please subscribe to my newsletter.
- You might also like to read these insights for more information: Mykonos Travel Guide
How to travel from Ios to Mykonos FAQ
Questions about about traveling to Mykonos from Ios include:
How can I go from Ios to Mykonos?
You can only travel between Ios and Mykonos by using a ferry. There are up to 2 daily ferries sailing to Mykonos from Ios.
Is there an airport on Mykonos?
Mykonos does have its own international airport (IATA: JMK, ICAO: LGMK). While you can't fly to any other destination in the Cyclades, it does have connections with Athens and some European cities.
How long is the ferry from Ios to Mykonos?
The ferries to the Greek island of Mykonos from Ios take between 1 hour and 35 minutes and 3 hours and 35 minutes. Ferry operators on the Ios Mykonos route may include Sea Jets and Golden Star Ferries.
How can I buy tickets for the ferry to Mykonos?
The easiest way to check a ferry schedule and get hold of a ferry ticket in Greece is by using Ferryhopper. You can also use a local travel agency to book ferry tickets for you, and you can normally find them near the ports.
Can I take a car on a Greek ferry?
If you're traveling with a vehicle, you will be happy to know that some Greek ferry boats have the option to carry cars. It's important to keep in mind that it is against some rental companies terms to take hire cars on board a ferry.
Final Thoughts: Ios to Mykonos ferries can be expensive, so it's best to plan in advance and look at different dates for the cheapest fares. If you're planning a vacation in Greece and need help finding affordable accommodation on Ios or booking tickets, take a look through this blog! There's stacks more content here that will help you plan the perfect holiday in Greece.
Dave is a travel writer who has been living in Greece and writing about the country since 2015. As well as creating this travel guide to ferries from Ios to Mykonos, he's also written many more travel blogs about destinations in Greece and around the world. Follow Dave on social media for travel inspiration from Greece and beyond:
Leave a Reply