There is one Ios to Folegandros ferry a day (apart from Sundays), and the journey takes around 1 hour and 20 minutes. This guide has all the information you need to travel from Ios to Folegandros by ferry.
Folegandros can be an interesting Greek island to visit after Ios.
You won't find any of the same sort of night life in Folegandros in terms of clubs, but if you enjoy late meals in a relaxed setting, it could be just the place for you.
If you don't know much about Folegandros, take some time to read my guide here: Things to do in Folegandros.
How to get from Ios to Folegandros
The only way to travel from Ios to Folegandros is by ferry.
The distance from Ios to Folegandros ports is around 40kms, and so the ferry ride is a short one at about 1 hour and 20 minutes on average.
During the height of the tourist season, you can expect up to 1 ferry a day every day of the week apart from Sunday sailing between Ios and Folegandros.
Four ferry companies operate direct ferries from Ios to Folegandros. These ferry companies are Zante Ferries, Blue Star Ferries, SeaJets, and Maistros Santorini.
Note: As there is no airport in the island of Folegandros, the only way to go to from Ios to Folegandros is to take a ferry.
I find that Ferryhopper is a good website to use to book ferry tickets online.
Ios To Folegandros Direct Route
The fastest ferry from Ios going to Folegandros takes around 1 hour and 5 minutes. The slowest vessel sailing to Folegandros from Ios island takes around 1 hour and 25 minutes.
While the Zante Ferries and Blue Star Ferries vessels are quite big ones, the Maistros Santorini is a curious one.
This ship can't take cars, and holds just 200 passengers. If you are traveling on a non Meltemi day, it could be a fun Ios Folegandros ferry to take!
Use Ferryhopper to look at schedules and book Ios-Folegandros ferry tickets online.
Folegandros Island Travel Tips
A few travel tips for visiting the island of Folegandros:
- Ferries leave from the main port, called Gialos in Ios. You should be at the ferry port an hour before departure. Arriving ferries dock at Karavostasis port in Folegandros.
- For rooms to rent in Folegandros, I recommend using Booking. They have a great choice of where to stay in Folegandros and areas to consider staying include Karavostasis, Chora, Agali, and Ano Meria. Take a look here for where to stay in Folegandros.
- Make sure to check out these beaches in Folegandros: Vardia, Agios Nikolaos, Agali, Livadaki, and Katergo. Plan your itinerary with my guide on things to do in Folegandros.
- Ferryhopper is perhaps the easiest site to use when it comes to booking Ferry tickets online. I think it's better that you book your Ios to Folegandros ferry tickets in advance, especially during the busiest months for travel.
- For further travel insights on Folegandros, Ios and other Greek destinations, sign up for my newsletter.
- Related blog post suggestion: More islands near Ios you might want to visit after
How to make the trip from Ios to Folegandros FAQ
Some commonly asked questions about traveling to Folegandros from Ios include:
How can you get to Folegandros from Ios?
You can only travel from Ios to Folegandros by ferry. There is at least one daily ferry, apart from Saturdays when there are none. The average travel time to get from Ios to Folegandros is 1 hour and 20 minutes.
Is there an airport on Folegandros?
There isn't an airport in Folegandros. The closest islands with airports are Milos and Santorini.
How long is the ferry ride from Ios to Folegandros?
The ferries to the Cyclades island of Folegandros from Ios take between 1 hour and 5 minutes and 1 hour and 25 minutes. Ferry operators on the Ios Folegandros route may include Zante Ferries, Blue Star Ferries, and Maistros Santorini.
How can I buy tickets for the ferry to Folegandros?
The easiest way to get hold of Folegandros ferry tickets in Greece is by using Ferryhopper. In August some crossings can sell out, so it might be wise to book your Ios to Folegandros ferry tickets in advance. If you haven't got your itinerary nailed down yet, and prefer flexibility when you travel, you can also use local travel agencies to book your tickets.
Which ferry companies operate crossings on the Ios Folegandros ferry route?
You will find crossings from Ios to Folegandros operated by SeaJets, Blue Star Ferries, Zante ferries, and Maistros Santorini on the timetable. Which boat you take will depend largely on the day you want to sail.
Dave is a travel writer who has been based in Greece since 2015. In addition to writing this travel blog post about ferries from Ios to Folegandros, he's also written many more travel blogs about destinations in Greece. Follow Dave on social media for travel inspiration from Greece and beyond: