There are no direct ferries sailing from Santorini to Andros in Greece. Instead, you'd need to take a ferry to Mykonos first, and then swap boats to go to Andros. This guide shows you how.
Andros island in Greece
It has to be said that whilst Andros is a fantastic island to visit, it is not a natural ‘next island to visit' after Santorini.
Whatever route you choose, there's going to be be quite some travel time involved. If you're on a 2 month backpacking trip around the Greek islands, it might not be important. If you only have a week or two though, you should perhaps think of alternative islands to visit after Santorini.
On some years, there have been direct ferries between Santorini and Andros. This was not the case in 2020 though, and it seems doubtful in 2021 also.
How to get from Santorini to Andros
There isn't an airport in Andros island, and the closest airport to Andros is in Athens. This means that even if you flew from Santorini to Athens, you'd still need to take a ferry from Athens to Andros.
Most people determined to pair Santorini and Andros together would choose to make a trip from Santorini to Andros by taking a ferry.
As mentioned, direct ferries between Santorini and Andros are rare. The last ferry operator to offer this was Golden Star, and perhaps Minoan.
You can check if there are still direct ferries by using Ferryhopper and typing in the dates you want to sail.
Ferries to Andros from Santorini
So if there are no direct ferries to the island of Andros leaving from Santorini, what do you do?
The answer is a little Greek island hopping!
There's usually four ferries per day leaving from Mykonos to Andros, so you might only have to wait at the ferry port in Mykonos for a couple of hours before getting on the boat to Andros.
Of course, you'll need to check the ferry timetables!
Ferry schedules are normally uploaded 1-2 months in advance. You can find schedules, timetables and ticket prices here at Ferryhopper.
Andros Island Travel Tips
A few travel tips for visiting Andros island:
- For hotels in Andros and Santorini, Booking is the place to go. You can filter down by options so it makes getting the best accommodation most suitable for you easier. There's also a Genius level discount after you've used the platform a few times which will help you save a little money, and may give you a few extra perks.
- Ferryhopper is really the only place I look for and book ferry tickets online. It's a simple to use site, reliable, and they don't put a markup on the ticket prices which some other online ferry booking platforms do.
- Did you know I've co-written a travel guide book for the Greek island of Andros? Check it out here on Kindle: Andros and Tinos in Greece – Greek Islands Travel Guide.
- Make sure you arrive at the port in Santorini on time for your ferry departure by using Welcome taxis. Pre-booked taxis at regular taxi prices in Santorini!
What to see in Andros Greece
Andros has a lot to see and do. In addition to the travel book on Amazon I've already mentioned, I've also got the following blog posts you might like to read when planning a trip to Andros in Greece.
- Andros Island Travel Guide
- How to get to Andros Island Greece
- Where to stay in Andros Greece
- How to get around Andros
How to take the journey from Santorini to Andros FAQ
Questions about about traveling to Andros from Santorini often include:
How can I get to Andros from Santorini?
The best way to make a trip from Santorini to Andros is by ferry. There may be seasonal ferries sailing directly from Santorini to Andros in some years, but it's probably best to arrange to take a boat to Mykonos first, and then swap ferries before continuing on to Andros.
Is there an airport on Andros?
There isn't an airport on the Cyclades island of Andros, so the only way to get from Santorini to Andros is to use a ferry. The closest airport to Andros is in Athens.
How many hours is the ferry from Santorini to Andros?
As traveling from Santorini to Andros usually involves making a connection, the total travel time is hard to predict. You should allow at least 10 hours, but don't be surprised if it takes longer. Should direct ferries ever run this route, the travel time would be around 8 hours.
Where do I buy ferry tickets to Andros?
The easiest way to get hold of ferry tickets in Greece is by using Ferryhopper. Although I suggest you book your Santorini to Andros ferry tickets in advance, you could also wait until you are in Greece, and use a travel agency.
– Dave Briggs
Dave is a travel writer who's been living in Greece since 2015. He's been writing blog posts such as this one about getting from Santorini to Andros during that time, and has also co-written a book about the Greek islands of Andros and Tinos, which is available on Amazon.