There are no direct ferries from Folegandros to Andros island in Greece. This means you'll have to take a ferry from Folegandros to another island first, and then a second ferry from there on to Andros. This guide shows you how.
Can you travel from Folegandros to Andros?
Although both Folegandros and Andros are Cyclades islands, there are no direct ferry crossings sailing between the two of them.
As a result, if you did want to visit Andros straight after Folegandros, you'd have to get a little creative with your Greek island hopping itinerary!
My advice here, is that unless you have a specific reason to visit Andros right after Folegandros, you should probably think about going to another island instead.
If you're determined though, you can still make the trip, it will just take a while…
Folegandros to Andros via another island
During the summer months when most people take their holidays, there are no direct ferries from Folegandros to Andros. In order to travel to Andros from Folegandros you would need to go via another island first.
The best islands to consider going via are Mykonos or Paros.
When you've arrived at one of these other islands, you would need to swap boats, and get another one sailing to Andros.
If you are very lucky, you won't have much time to wait between ferry connections. More often than not though, you should allow for at least an extended stay at the ferry port on the ‘middle' island, or to stay there overnight.
Check ferry schedules and prices at Ferryhopper.
Cyclades Islands Between Folegandros and Andros.
Mykonos or Paros are your best choices of Greek island where you can swap ferries. Syros and Naxos might also provide possibilities. Ideas for the type of ferry ride you'd need to look for would be:
Folegandros to Mykonos by ferry and then Mykonos to Andros by ferry
Folegandros to Paros by ferry and then Paros to Andros by ferry.
Whichever of these ferry routes you decide to take, you should allow for a minimum of a day's journey as you'll more likely than not need to stay overnight on one of the islands along the way.
Andros Island Travel Tips
A few travel tips for visiting Andros:
- For where to stay in Andros, I recommend Booking. They have a great selection of hotels in Andros and areas to consider staying include Batsi, Korthi, Chora, and Agios Petros. If you are traveling to Andros in the tourist season, I advise reserving rooms to rent in Andros a month or so in advance. I've a complete guide here: Where to stay in Andros
- The best place to look at Greek ferries online is Ferryhopper. Although I suggest you book your Folegandros to Andros ferry tickets in advance, especially during the height of the tourist season.
- Have a read of my guide on how to get around Andros. If you've never hired a car before in Greece, these tips on renting a car in Greece might be useful.
- If you are interested in more information about Andros, Folegandros and other destinations in Greece, sign up for my newsletter.
- I've a travel guide to Andros and Tinos now available on Amazon! Take a look here: Andros and Tinos Guide Book
- Related post suggestion: Andros island travel guide
How to make a ferry trip from Folegandros to Andros FAQ
Some commonly asked questions visitors have about traveling to Andros from Folegandros include:
How do you get to Andros from Folegandros?
The only way to get from Folegandros to Andros is to take a boat via another island first such as Mykonos or Paros. There are no ferry companies sailing directly to the Greek island of Andros from Folegandros.
Is there an airport on Andros?
There isn't an airport on the Cyclades island of Andros, so the only way to take the journey from Folegandros to Andros is by the ferry services. The nearest airport to Andros is at Athens.
How many hours is the ferry from Folegandros to Andros?
With no direct ferries going to Andros island from Folegandros, it is hard to calculate the exact travel times. If route connections line up perfectly, it could be 17 hours or less. In the worst case, you may need to stay over night on Mykonos or Paros.
Where can I buy tickets for the ferry to Andros?
I find that the Ferryhopper website is the best place to book ferry tickets online for most ferries in Greece. I suggest you book your Folegandros to Andros ferry tickets in advance, but you could also wait until you are in Greece, and use a travel agency.
Dave is a travel writer currently based in Greece In addition to writing this guide about taking ferries from Folegandros to Andros, he's created many other guides about Greek islands and destinations in Greece. Follow Dave on social media for travel inspiration from Greece and beyond: