There are 2 ferries per day leaving from Santorini to Milos. The quickest travel time is 2 hours and 5 minutes using a SeaJets ferry. This Santorini to Milos ferry guide has info on times, tickets, and more!
Milos island in Greece
Milos might not quite have the high profile of Santorini, but it's one of the most upcoming destinations in the Cyclades of Greece.
Often described as a couples island, it's actually more suited to people who like to hire a vehicle, get out and explore. There's over 80 beaches to choose from, an interesting mining history, and the food is out of this world!
The geology of Milos is also amazing. Where else can you visit a white-rocked beach such as Sarakiniko that looks like you are on the moon, and then go to a beach with an abandoned Sulphur mine on the same day?!
Milos might make a good choice of a next destination if you're looking where to go after Santorini. Here's some travel information on how to get between the two islands.
How to get from Santorini to Milos
Even though the Cyclades island of Milos has an airport, flights between the islands of Santorini and Milos are not an option. If you want to fly from Santorini to Milos island you'd need to go via Athens first if there are suitable flights.
This means that the only way to get between the two Cyclades islands is to take the ferry from Santorini to Milos.
During the the busiest months of summer, there can be up to 2 ferries per day from Santorini to Milos. These ferries to Milos from Santorini are operated by Zante Ferries, SeaJets, and Anek Lines.
Check ferry schedules and book e tickets via Ferryhopper.
Ferries to Milos from Santorini
The high speed ferry boat from Santorini going to Milos takes around 2 hours and 5 minutes. The slower, conventional ferry boat sailing to Milos from Santorini island takes around 5 hours and 35 minutes.
As you can see, there is a significant difference between the fastest and slowest Santorini Milos ferry. You can expect the high speed ferries to Milos to be more expensive.
Check out Ferryhopper for Greek ferry tickets and up to date timetables
Milos Island Travel Tips
A few travel tips for visiting the Cyclades island of Milos:
- Ferries depart from Athinios Port (the new port) in Santorini. Traffic can be heavy on the roads, so aim to be at the departure port an hour before the ferry is due to leave. Welcome offer the ability to pre-book taxis to and from the ferry port in Santorini. You can also use Welcome on other Greek islands as well as in Athens.
- Ferries arrive at the Port of Milos in Adamas. If you're only staying for a couple of days Adamas can be a good area to stay. Check out my guide one where to stay in Milos for more ideas of accommodation options.
- Ferryhopper is the easiest site to start planning a ferry trip. You can get up to date schedules and ferry ticket prices for the Santorini to Milos ferry. You can also easily book your ferry tickets online.
- High season in Greece is July and August. Accommodation and ferries can sell out quickly. Try to book a couple of months in advance of traveling if possible.
What to see in Milos Greece
Milos is one of the most interesting destinations in the Cyclades islands of Greece. It's something of a geological wonder, with a varied landscape that seems almost adventurous in nature.
The best way to see the island of Milos, is to hire either a quad bike or car, and drive around to the different areas. Some of my suggestions of things to do in Milos include:
- Visit the lunar-like Sarakiniko Beach
- Take a boat tour around Milos
- Visit Kleftiko Bay in Milos
- Eat at some amazing restaurants and tavernas
- Visit the beaches of Milos – there's over 80!
- Experience different sides to the island on a day tour
- Visit Kimolos on a day trip – or stay for a few days!
Santorini Milos Ferry Route FAQ
Questions about about traveling to Milos from Santorini include:
How do I get to Milos from Santorini?
If you want to take a trip from Santorini to Milos the best way is by using a ferry. There are up to 2 ferries per day sailing to Milos from Santorini.
Is there an airport on Milos?
Although Milos island has an airport, flying between Santorini and Milos is not possible. In order to fly from Santorini to the island of Milos you'd need to go via Athens if there are any flights that look suitable.
How long is the ferry from Santorini to Milos?
The ferries to the Greek island of Milos from Santorini take between 2 hours and 5 minutes and 5 hours and 35 minutes. Companies and operators on the Santorini Milos ferry route may include Zante Ferries, SeaJets, and Anek Lines.
How can I buy tickets for the Santorini to Milos ferry?
The best place to look at Greek ferries online is Ferryhopper. Although I suggest you book your Santorini to Milos ferry tickets in advance, you might also prefer to use a travel agency in Greece when you have arrived.
– Dave Briggs
Dave is a travel writer who's been living in Greece since 2015. In addition to this guide to island hopping between Santorini and Milos, he's written hundred's of other ferry travel and Greek destination guides. Between Santorini and Milos, he prefers Milos.
Follow Dave on social media for travel inspiration from Greece and beyond: