There can be 2 ferries per day leaving from Santorini and going to Milos. This Santorini to Milos ferry guide has info on times, tickets, and more!
Milos island in Greece
Milos might not quite have the high profile of Santorini, but it's one of the most upcoming destinations in the Cyclades of Greece.
Often described as a couples island, it's actually more suited to people who like to hire a vehicle, get out and explore. There's over 80 beaches to choose from, an interesting mining history, and the food is out of this world!
The geology of Milos is also amazing. Where else can you visit a white-rocked beach such as Sarakiniko that looks like you are on the moon, and then go to a beach with an abandoned Sulphur mine on the same day?!
Milos might make a good choice of a next destination if you're looking where to go after Santorini. Here's some travel information on how to get between the two islands.
How to get from Santorini to Milos
Even though the Cyclades island of Milos has an airport, flights between the islands of Santorini and Milos are not an option. If you want to fly from Santorini to Milos island you'd need to go via Athens first if there are suitable flights.
This means that the only way to get between the two places is to take the ferry from Santorini to Milos.
During the the busiest months of summer, there can be up to 2 ferries per day from Santorini to Milos. These ferries to Milos from Santorini are operated by Zante Ferries, SeaJets, and Anek Lines.
Ferries to Milos from Santorini
The quicker boat from Santorini going to Milos takes around 2 hours and 5 minutes, and the the slowest ferry boat sailing to Milos from Santorini island takes around 5 hours and 35 minutes.
As you can see, there is a significant difference between the fastest and slowest Santorini Milos ferry. You can expect the quicker boat to be more expensive.
Check out Ferryhopper for Greek ferry tickets and up to date timetables
Milos Island Travel Tips
A few travel tips for visiting the Cyclades island of Milos:
- Booking is the best place to start looking for hotels in Milos. I've also a guide here on where to stay in Milos. Most people find that Adamas, where the main port is, to be the best area to stay on the island of Milos.
- Ferryhopper is the easiest site to get up to date schedules and ticket prices from the Santorini to Milos ferry.
- It's best to be at the port in Santorini around an hour before your ferry from Santorini to Milos sails. Ferries can sometimes be delayed because of the Meltemi winds in the Cyclades.
- Welcome offer the ability to pre-book taxis to and from the port in Santorini. You can also use Welcome on other Greek islands as well as in Athens.
What to see in Milos Greece
Milos is one of the most interesting destinations in the Cyclades islands of Greece. It's something of a geological wonder, with a varied landscape that seems almost adventurous in nature.
The best way to see the island of Milos, is to hire either a quad bike or car, and drive around to the different areas. Some of my suggestions of things to do in Milos include:
- Visit the lunar-like Sarakiniko Beach
- Take a boat tour around Milos
- Visit Kleftiko Bay in Milos
- Eat at some amazing restaurants and tavernas
- Visit the beaches of Milos – there's over 80!
- Experience different sides to the island on a day tour
- Visit Kimolos on a day trip – or stay for a few days!
How to to make the journey from Santorini to Milos FAQ
Questions about about traveling to Milos from Santorini include:
How do I get to Milos from Santorini?
If you want to take a trip from Santorini to Milos the best way is by using a ferry. There are up to 2 ferries per day sailing to Milos from Santorini.
Is there an airport on Milos?
Although Milos island has an airport, flying between Santorini and Milos is not possible. In order to fly from Santorini to the island of Milos you'd need to go via Athens if there are any flights that look suitable.
How long is the ferry from Santorini to Milos?
The ferries to the Greek island of Milos from Santorini take between 2 hours and 5 minutes and 5 hours and 35 minutes. Companies and operators on the Santorini Milos ferry route may include Zante Ferries, SeaJets, and Anek Lines.
How can I buy tickets for the Santorini to Milos ferry?
The best place to look at Greek ferries online is Ferryhopper. Although I suggest you book your Santorini to Milos ferry tickets in advance, you might also prefer to use a travel agency in Greece when you have arrived.
– Dave Briggs
Dave is a travel writer who's been living in Greece since 2015. He's been writing about Greece and the Greek islands, and out of Santorini and Milos, prefers Milos.