You can take the ferry from Santorini to Amorgos once a day in the summer using SeaJets. Express Skopelitis also offer a Santorini Amorgos ferry service on occasional days.
Amorgos island in Greece
Amorgos is the eastern-most of the Cyclades islands in Greece. With its beautiful beaches and incredible landscapes, it's an island that takes some effort to reach – but that effort is well rewarded!
If you're planning to visit Amorgos after having spent some time in Santorini, you'll find it very different in nature. This is the island you'll enjoy more if you're a beach lover, and the pace of life is a lot quieter than Santorini!
How to get to Amorgos from Santorini
There isn't an airport on the island of Amorgos, so the only way to travel from Santorini to Amorgos is to use a ferry.
During the busiest time of summer, there may be up to 1 and occasionally 2 ferries per day from Santorini to Amorgos. These ferries to Amorgos from Santorini are operated by SeaJets and Express Skopelitis.
SeaJets is by far the faster service, but is more expensive the the Express Skopelitis. If you plan on hopping around the ‘Lesser Cyclades' (the islands around Naxos), you'll probably end up using the Express Skopelitis quite a lot.
Ferries to Amorgos from Santorini
The quicker SeaJets from Santorini going to Amorgos takes around 1 hour and 10 minutes. The slower ferry Express Skopelitis sailing to Amorgos from Santorini island takes around 4 hours and 55 minutes.
The best place to look at up to date schedules and book tickets online is Ferryhopper.
Amorgos Island Travel Tips
A few travel tips for visiting the island of Amorgos:
- Booking is by far the best site to reserve your Amorgos hotels online. There's also a loyalty scheme which makes hotels cheaper the more you use the platform. If you speak Greek, you might find better prices by talking to hotels in Amorgos directly. Also keep in mind that not all accommodation on the island is listed on Booking.
- Ferryhopper have up to date timetables for the ferries leaving from Santorini and sailing to Amorgos. Note that sometimes schedules are only uploaded a month or two before. If you're checking for summer ferries in the winter, it's unlikely you will see any ferries scheduled quite yet, and those that are may be subject to change.
- Amorgos does have ATM machines in Aegali, Chora and Katapola, but it is prudent to carry some spare Euro notes with you just in case.
- Welcome taxis offer a pre-booked service that will pick you up from your hotel in Santorini, and drop you off at the port. I'd suggest getting to the port an hour before your ferry Santorini Amorgos is due to depart.
What to see in Amorgos Greece
Some of the things to experience and do when in Amorgos include:
- Explore the Chora and Venetian Kastro
- Get plenty of photos of the Cyclades Windmills
- Visit The Monastery of Panagia Hozoviotissa
- Use the island hiking trails to discover a different side to the island
- Go on a boat tour around Amorgos
- Most importantly – chill out at the beach!
Taking the ferry from Santorini to Amorgos FAQ
Some commonly asked questions about traveling to Amorgos from Santorini include:
How do we get to Amorgos from Santorini?
In order to take the journey from Santorini to Amorgos the best way is to use a ferry. There are up to 1 and occasionally 2 ferries per day sailing to the Greek island of Amorgos from Santorini.
Is there an airport on Amorgos?
There isn't an airport in Amorgos island, so the only way to make a journey from Santorini to Amorgos is by the ferry services. The closest airport to Amorgos is on the island of Naxos.
How long is the ferry ride from Santorini to Amorgos?
The ferries to the Cyclades island of Amorgos from Santorini take between 1 hour and 10 minutes and 4 hours and 55 minutes. Ferry operators on the Santorini Amorgos route may include SeaJets and Express Skopelitis.
How do I buy ferry tickets to Amorgos?
One of the best places to look at ferry schedules and to book tickets online for the Santorini Amorgos route is at Ferryhopper. Although I recommend you book your Santorini to Amorgos ferry tickets in advance, you could also use a local travel agency in Greece.
Island Hopping from Santorini
Other destinations you can reach from Santorini include:
- How to get from Santorini to Anafi
- How to get from Santorini to Andros
- How to get from Santorini to Folegandros
- How to get from Santorini to Ios
- How to get from Santorini to Milos
- How to get from Santorini to Mykonos
- How to get from Santorini to Naxos
- How to get from Santorini to Paros
- How to get from Santorini to Sikinos
- How to get from Santorini to Syros
- How to get from Santorini to Tinos
– Dave Briggs
Dave is a travel writer who's been living in Greece since 2015. He's spent his time visiting and then writing about cool destinations in Greece, producing useful guides such as this one on how to get from Santorini to Amorgos. He hasn't visited all of the islands in Greece yet – but he is working on it!