During the summer there can be 2 or more daily ferries from Santorini to Syros. This Santorini to Syros ferry guide shows how and where to get tickets.
Syros island in Greece
Many people do not realise that despite Santorini being the most famous island in the Cyclades, it's actually Syros which is the island chain's regional capital.
In the summer, you can expect more frequent ferry services with at least 1-2 ferries per day between the two islands.
You should keep in mind though, that Santorini and Syros are not very close together, so you'll need to allow for travel time. This map shows why.
How to get from Santorini to Syros
Even though Syros island has an airport, flying between Santorini and Syros is not an option. If you prefer to fly from Santorini to Syros you'd need to go via Athens and make a connection, should flights be available.
The best way for most visitors to get from Santorini to Syros is by ferry.
During the the busiest months of summer, there might be up to 1 or 2 ferries per day from Santorini to Syros. These ferries to Syros from Santorini are operated by SeaJets.
Ferries to Syros from Santorini
The quickest ferry journey from Santorini going to Syros takes around 3 hours and 40 minutes, with the slow ferry sailing to Syros from Santorini island taking around 5 hours and 30 minutes.
Keep in mind that the faster ferry crossings will normally have higher ticket prices, and that some months have higher ferry tickets prices than others.
I find that Ferryhopper is a good website to use to book ferry tickets online, and is the best place to find up to date travel information about taking ferries in Greece.
Syros Island Travel Tips
A few travel tips for visiting Syros island:
- Ferryhopper is the best site for checking out ferry timetables and ticket prices for the boats sailing from Santorini to Syros island.
- The port in Santorini can be reached by public transport or taxi. Try to be there an hour before, especially if you are collecting your Syros ferry tickets from the port. There are a couple of nearby cafes where you can have a coffee while you wait in the shade.
- Welcome is an easy way to pre-book taxis from your hotel in Santorini down to the port in order to catch the ferry from Santorini to Syros.
What to see in Syros Greece
I've a full guide here on things to do in Syros island, Greece. A few bullets points of what to do in Syros include:
- Enjoying the sunset on a beach in Syros
- Take a walk around Ano Syros (Upper Syros)
- Check out the Archaeological Museum in Ermoupoli
- take photos of the Vaporia neighbourhood
- Chill in front of the neoclassical buildings in Ermoupoli
- Visit the Apollon Theatre
How to make the journey from Santorini to Syros FAQ
Questions that people ask about traveling to Syros from Santorini include:
How do I get to Syros from Santorini?
If you want to take a trip from Santorini to Syros the best way is by ferry. There are 1 or 2 ferries per day sailing to the island of Syros from Santorini during the summer depending on seasonal demand.
Is there an airport in Syros?
Although Syros has an airport, flying from between Santorini and Syros is not something you can do. If you want to fly from Santorini to the Cyclades island of Syros you'd need to go via Athens, swap planes, and then fly back out to Syros.
How many hours is the ferry from Santorini to Syros?
The ferries to the Greek island of Syros from Santorini take between 3 hours and 40 minutes and 5 hours and 30 minutes. Ferry operators on the Santorini Syros route may include SeaJets, and there will be stops at other islands along the way.
Where can I buy tickets for the ferry to Syros?
The best place to look at Greek ferries online is Ferryhopper. I think it's a good idea that you book your Santorini to Syros ferry tickets as far in advance as you can. if you prefer to be more flexible, you could also wait until you are in Greece, and use a travel agency.
Still planning out the best ferry routes in the Cyclades? You might also find these other guides helpful:
- Santorini Island Hopping Guides
- How to get from Santorini to Folegandros
- How to get from Santorini to Ios
- How to get from Santorini to Milos
- How to get from Santorini to Mykonos
- How to get from Santorini to Naxos
- How to get from Santorini to Paros
– Dave Briggs
Dave is a travel writer who's been living in Greece since 2015. During the time since, he's visited dozens of Greek islands (not all of them yet… he's working on it!), in order to create travel blogs like this one about how to get the ferry from Santorini to Syros.