This collection of the best quotes about travel by famous writers and public figures can help inspire and motivate your wanderlust.
Famous Quotes About Travelling
This collection of the most famous travel related quotes draws together the words of philosophers, adventurers, explorers and writers. Each one is inspiring, especially as they are paired with some great travel pictures!
If you feel the travel bug, but are still in the planning stages for your trip, it's quotes like these that will keep your wanderlust alive. Remember, life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
Famous Travel Quotes
1. Jobs fill your pockets, adventures fill your soul.
― Jamie Lyn Beatty
2. Its the not the Destination, It's the journey.
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
3. Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.
― Mark Twain
4. Adventure is worthwhile.
5. Traveling—it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.
― Ibn Battuta
6. Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands. Shaking off with one mighty effort the fetters of Habit, the leaden weight of Routine, the cloak of many Cares and the slavery of Civilization, man feels once more happy.
― Richard Francis Burton
7. Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.
– Andre Gide
8. Take only memories, leave only footprints.
– Chief Seattle
Quotes about travel by famous authors
9. The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.
– Lao Tzu
10. Once a year go some place you've never been before
― Dalai Lama
11. A journey is best measured in friends, not in miles.
― Tim Cahill
12. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.
– Helen Keller
13. No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow.
– Lin Yutang
14. Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.
15. Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life.
16. One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.
– Henry Miller
17. Go, fly, roam, travel, voyage, explore, journey, discover, adventure.
18. If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home.
– James Michener
19. To awaken quite alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world.
– Freya Stark
20. All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.
– Martin Buber
21. Travel makes a wise man better but a fool worse.
– Thomas Fuller
22. The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.
– Agustine of Hippo
23. Not all those who wander are lost.
-J .R.R. Tolkien
Related: Texas Captions
Famous Travel Captions
Here's our next section of travel sayings. Feel free to pin any of these to your quotes, travel and motivation boards on Pinterest!
24. We travel, some of us forever, to seek other states, other lives, other souls.
– Anaïs Nin
25. A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.
– Lao Tzu
26. Your true traveller finds boredom rather agreeable than painful. It is the symbol of his liberty – his excessive freedom. He accepts his boredom, when it comes, not merely philosophically, but almost with pleasure.
– Aldous Huxley
27. Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
28. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
― Mark Twain
29. Own only what you can always carry with you: known languages, known countries, known people. Let your memory be your travel bag
– Alexandr Solzhenitsyn
30. When preparing to travel, lay out all your clothes and all your money. Then take half the clothes and twice the money.
– Susan Heller
31. Travel makes one modest, you see what a tiny place you occupy in the world
– Gustave Flaubert
Related: Bike captions for Instagram
32. At its best, travel should challenge our preconceptions and most cherished views, cause us to rethink our assumptions, shake us a bit, make us broader minded and more understanding.
– Arthur Frommer
33. Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail
– Ralph Waldo Emerson
34. I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move.
– Robert Louis Stevenson
35. The journey not the arrival matters.
― T.S. Eliot
Travel Quotes and Sayings
Are these famous quotes inspiring you towards adventure? You might like to check out my section on bike touring.
It includes my long distance cycling trips from Alaska to Argentina, and from England to South Africa!
36. I travel not to cross countries off a list, but to ignite passionate affairs with destinations.
– Nyssa P. Chopra
37. If you travel first class, you think first class and you are more likely to play first class.
– Raymond Floyd
38. The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes.
– Marcel Proust
39. One travels to run away from routine, that dreadful routine that kills all imagination and all our capacity for enthusiasm.
– Ella Maillart
40. We are what our thoughts have made us; so take care about what you think. Words are secondary. Thoughts live; they travel far.
– Swami Vivekananda
41. I love to travel, but hate to arrive
– Albert Einstein
42. It matters not where or how far you travel,–the farther commonly the worse,–but how much alive you are.
― Henry David Thoreau
43. A zero-gravity flight is a first step toward space travel.
– Stephen Hawking
44. The land created me. I'm wild and lonesome. Even as I travel the cities, I'm more at home in the vacant lots.
– Bob Dylan
45. Even if it turns out that time travel is impossible, it is important that we understand why it is impossible.
– Stephen Hawking
46. Travel teaches toleration.
– Benjamin Disraeli
47. Wandering re-establishes the original harmony which once existed between man and the universe.
— Anatole France
48. I just travel the world with my backpack and my cameras and a bunch of Clif bars.
– Henry Rollins
Top Travel Quotes
We've put together another varied selection of quotes to include in this next section. Have you spotted your favourite travel quote yet?
49. I want to see friends more and travel more.
– Jennifer Aniston
50. I want to teach. I want to speak. I want to travel.
– Hillary Clinton
51. We travel often to Asia, Africa, Europe, where they were born.
– Angelina Jolie
52. Let me be a free man – free to travel, free to stop, free to work.
– Chief Joseph
53. You should make travel as comfortable as possible.
– Tom Segura
54. Travel, of course, narrows the mind.
– Malcolm Muggeridge
55. I travel light. I think the most important thing is to be in a good mood and enjoy life, wherever you are.
– Diane von Furstenberg
56. Travel works best when you're forced to come to terms with the place you're in.
– Paul Theroux
57. My fans are honestly so unique and so similar. Wherever I travel, they are so, so different but so the same.
– Lilly Singh
58. The person attempting to travel two roads at once will get nowhere.
– Xun Kuang
Inspiring Travel Quotes
59. An English man does not travel to see English men.
– Laurence Sterne
60. My ideal travel companions are my family.
– Pharrell Williams
61. I take a cooking class everywhere I travel. I find it's the best way to get to know a culture.
– Blake Lively
62. Travel like a pro, not like a hobo. That's my motto.
– Greg Gutfeld
63. When you travel so many weeks a year, it's always nice to have a home-cooked meal.
– Maria Sharapova
64. Travel is hard, but entertaining is joy.
– Debbie Reynolds
65. Never go on trips with anyone you do not love.
– Ernest Hemingway
66. Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.
– Ralph Waldo Emerson
67. If all difficulties were known at the outset of a long journey, most of us would never start out at all.
– Dan Rather
68. I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.
– Mary Anne Radmacher
Travel quotes by famous authors FAQ
Readers interested in inspirational travel quotes often search for similar things, such as:
What did Mark Twain say about travel?
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.
What are best quotes in travel?
Some of the best travel quotes include: ‘Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer' – Anonymous. ‘The journey is my home' – Muriel Rukeyser. ‘To travel is to live' – Hans Christian Anderson. ‘It feels good to be lost in the right direction' – Unknown. ‘Life is a journey, not a destination' – Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Why do people travel?
Many of us have our own motives for traveling: wanderlust, the desire to experience another culture, or an urge to experience something new. One quote that sums it up is – We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.
More Travel Captions
You might also like to check out these other travel captions and quote collections for even more inspiration! Also, take a look at my pinned collection of travel sayings.
Leave a Reply