Colombia is without doubt one of the great bike touring destinations in the world. You'll experience amazing scenery, the kindness of strangers and more when bike touring in Colombia.
Cycling in ColombiaEcuador.
Due to an oversight on my part, I either asked for the wrong visa in Colombia, or forgot to get a visa extension. Whichever it was, it meant that instead of enjoying a leisurely 60 days to cycle in Colombia, I now had only 30.
Whilst it was still doable, there was a feeling of being against the clock a little. As a result, I didn't get much chance to appreciate the country, which is a shame. Everyone I met was super-friendly, and I was invited to stay with people on more than one occasion.
My advice to other cyclists planning a bike tour in Colombia, would be to spend as much time there as you can. Budget permitting of course!
Some of the highlights of biking in Colombia were:
- The sailing trip via the San Blas islands
- The hospitality of strangers – Thank you Rodrigo!
- Feeling pretty damned bad, but having to cycle anyway
- Meeting other cyclists on the road
- Incredible views and very big mountains!
Bike Touring in Colombia
My bike touring route through Colombia took me more or less on a direct route to the border with Ecuador. You can see the route I took below.
During my time bicycle touring in Colombia, I kept a blog post a day. Keep in mind that these bike touring blogs were written day by day in 2010.
You might find the writing style less refined and more earthy, and precise information about cycling in Colombia may be dated. Still, I think you'll find them useful reading when planning your own Colombia bike tour.
I've listed the blog posts below. At the end of each post, you'll find a little navigation section where you can go on to the next post, or back to the previous one.
Colombia Bicycle Touring Blogs
Here's my Colombia bikepacking blog posts, starting from sailing into Colombia, and finishing with crossing the border into Ecuador.
- Sailing from Panama to Colombia on the Sailing Koala
- Day off in Cartagena
- Another day off in Cartagena
- Cycling from Cartagena to San Juan Nepomuceno
- Cycling from San Juan Nepomuceno to Sincelejo
- Sincelejo to Sahagun – Bike touring through Colombia
- Day off in Sahagun
- Cycling from Sahagun to Planeta Rica
- Cycling from Planeta Rica to Caucasia
- Cycling from Caucasia to Taraza
- Cycling from Taraza to Valdivia
- Cycling from Valdivia to Yarumal
- Day off in Yarumal
- Cycling from Yarumal to Santa Rosa de Osos
- Cycling from Santa Rosa de Osos to Medellin
- Day off in Medellin
- Cycling from Medellin to La Pintada
- Cycling from La Pintada to Riosucio
- Cycling from Riosucio to Cartago
- Cycling from Cartago to Buga
- Buga to Outside Villa Rica
- Cycling from Near Villa Rica to Popayan
- Day off Popayan
- Cycling from Popayan to El Bordo
- Cycling from El Bordo to El Remolino
- Cycling from El Remolino to Esso Station
- Cycling from Esso Station to Pasto
- Cycling from Pasto to El Pedregal
- Cycling from El Pedregal to Ipiales (Border with Ecuador)
Pin this bike touring Colombia post
Feel free to use the image below to save to one of your Pinterest boards about bike touring in Colombia.