During the summer tourist season, there is one ferry per day sailing from Santorini to Koufonisia. The journey on the SeaJets takes around 1 hour and 55 minutes.
Koufonisia island in Greece
Positioned between the islands of Naxos and Amorgos, Koufonisia boasts amazing beaches, sparkling seas, and a heavenly coastline.
Actually consisting of two islands – Ano Koufonissi and Kato Koufonissi -, the destination as a whole is most often referred to as Koufonisia.
Whilst we can say that Koufonisia has definitely been discovered (its direct ferry connection with Santorini is testament to that), it's a much different place than Santorini.
You'll enjoy the relative quietness, absence of huge crowds, and quality beach time. Of course, you have to get to Koufonisia first!
How to get from Santorini to Koufonissi
There is no airport in Koufonissi island, so the only way to make the journey from Santorini to Koufonissi is by using the ferry network.
During the height of summer, there is usually one ferry per day sailing from Santorini to Koufonissi. These ferries to Koufonissi from Santorini are operated by SeaJets.
Ferries to Koufonissi from Santorini
The ferry sailing to Koufonissi from Santorini island takes around 1 hour and 55 minutes. Note that as this is a ‘tourist' ferry service, it is relatively expensive when compared to reaching other islands.
Depending on the year, budget travelers could consider first taking a ferry from Santorini to Naxos, and then from Naxos to Koufonisi. This might work out a little cheaper, but obviously it will involve much more travel time.
The simplest place to look at schedules for Greek ferries is at the Ferryhopper website.
Koufonissi Island Travel Tips
A few travel tips for visiting Koufonissi island:
- Booking is the easiest place to see what hotels in Koufonissi there are. Frequent users can have further discounts and special offers.
- Ferryhopper has a great website where you can see current timetables and book ferry tickets from Santorini to Koufonisi online.
- You might see Koufonissi spelled in a variety of ways, such as Koufonisia and Koufonisi. They all refer to the same place, which is the main island of Ano Koufonisi. Are you ready to say it's all Greek to me yet?
- Welcome taxis can be pre-booked to take you from your accommodation in Santorini down to the port. They are fairly priced, and will ensure that you get to the port in time for departure.
What to see in Koufonissi Greece
Relax and take it easy – you're on holiday! There's not much to tick off a list when it comes to essential experiences to have in Koufonisia, which is part of the joy of the island.
- Take a boat tour of coastline of Koufonisia (both islands!)
- Check out the Ano Koufonissi beaches of Foinikas, Loutro, Italida, and Pori
- Don't miss the Kato Koufonissi beaches of Nero, Detis
- Walk a few miles on the hiking trails
- Savour the fresh seafood in cute tavernas
How to take the ferry from Santorini to Koufonisia FAQ
Some commonly asked questions about traveling to Koufonissi from Santorini include:
How can you get to Koufonissi from Santorini?
In order to take the journey from Santorini to Koufonissi the best way is by ferry. There is 1 ferry per day in the summer sailing to Koufonissi from Santorini. During off season, this ferry may not run, and so you would have to take an indirect route via Naxos to Koufonisia.
Is there an airport on Koufonissi?
There isn't an airport in the Greek island of Koufonissi, so the only way to get from Santorini to Koufonissi is by ferry. The nearest airport to Koufonisia is over on Naxos island.
How long is the ferry crossing from Santorini to Koufonissi?
The ferries to the Cyclades island of Koufonissi from Santorini take around 1 hour and 55 minutes. The ferry only runs during the summer months (tourist season), and the ferry operator is SeaJets. The vessel is likely to be either the SeaJet 2 or the SuperJet.
Where do I buy ferry tickets to Koufonissi?
The best place to look at Greek ferries to Koufonissi online is Ferryhopper. I think it's better that you book your Santorini to Koufonissi ferry tickets in advance, but you might also prefer to use a travel agency in Greece once you have arrived in the country.
Other Islands After Santorini
Koufonissi isn't the only island you can consider visiting after Santorini. You can visit almost any of the islands in the Cyclades quite easily from Santorini if you wish.
Here's a few guides on which islands to visit after Santorini:
- How to get from Santorini to Amorgos
- How to get from Santorini to Anafi
- How to get from Santorini to Andros
- How to get from Santorini to Folegandros
- How to get from Santorini to Ios
- How to get from Santorini to Iraklia
- How to get from Santorini to Milos
- How to get from Santorini to Mykonos
- How to get from Santorini to Naxos
- How to get from Santorini to Paros
- How to get from Santorini to Schinoussa
- How to get from Santorini to Sikinos
- How to get from Santorini to Syros
- How to get from Santorini to Tinos
– Dave Briggs
Dave is a travel writer who's been living in and writing about Greece since 2015. He's written hundreds of travel guides here at Dave's Travel Pages with the aim of helping make life easier for people planning to travel to Greece. He hasn't quite visited all the Greek islands yet – but he's getting there!