There is at least one Syros to Santorini ferry per day in the summer months. On some days, two ferries sail the Syros Santorini route in Greece.
How to get from Syros to Santorini
If you've decided you want to visit Santorini directly after Syros, you should be aware that Santorini is perhaps the furthest Cyclades island from Syros.
You can still get from Syros to Santorini in under 4 hours by ferry in the summer though, and the prices for foot passengers can be quite reasonable.
I've seen ticket prices as low as 17.80 Euro for off-season travel on the Syros Santorini route. You should probably expect to pay a little more than that during the peak tourist season.
A quick note on flying: Even though Syros and Santorini both have an airport, flying between Syros and Santorini is not something you can do.
Ferries to Santorini from Syros
During the height of the tourist season, there is one ferry per day, and on a couple of days a week, 2 ferries per day from Syros to Santorini. These ferries to Santorini from Syros are operated by SeaJets and Blue Star Ferries.
The quickest ferry from Syros going to Santorini takes around 3 hours and 10 minutes. The slowest summer vessel sailing to Santorini from Syros island takes around 3 hours and 45 minutes.
During the winter months, that slower ferry crossing from Syros island to Santorini can be over 6 hours.
As might perhaps be expected, the faster ferry crossings are also normally more expensive. The easiest way to book ferry tickets online is by using Ferryhopper.
Santorini Island Travel Tips
A few travel tips for visiting the Greek island of Santorini after Syros:
- Ferries depart from Ermoupoli port in Syros. Ferries arrive at Athinios port, a few kilometres from Fira in Santorini. You'll need to take a bus or a taxi out from the port to wherever you're staying in Santorini, as it would be a hot, sweaty, dusty walk trying to get out of the port on foot (it's at the bottom of a hill!).
- For hotels in Santorini, I suggest looking at Booking. They have a great selection of apartments in Santorini and areas to consider staying include Perissa, Imerovigli, Monolithos, Firostefani, Kamari, Fira, and Oia. If you are traveling to Santorini in the peak months of summer, I advise reserving places to stay in Santorini a month or so in advance. Looking for a bit of a treat? Try a Santorini hotel with a sunset view.
- Readers recommend visiting the following beaches in Santorini: Perissa, Monolithos, Kamari, Perivolos, Mesa Pigadia, and Red Beach. I'll be honest – the beaches in Santorini are nothing to write home about when compared to other islands in Greece with great beaches.
- Ferryhopper is perhaps the easiest site to use when it comes to booking Ferry tickets online. Although I suggest you book your Syros to Santorini ferry tickets in advance, especially during the busiest time of summer, there are plenty of local ticket and travel agencies on each Greek island where you can book tickets in person.
- For more travel tips about Santorini, Syros and other Greek islands, please sign up for my newsletter.
I've a lot of travel guides about Santorini you can check out which may help your vacation planning:
- Best time to go to Santorini
- Random facts about Santorini
- How to book a Santorini hotel with breaking the bank
- One day Santorini itinerary
- Two day Santorini itinerary
- Three day Santorini itinerary
- Day Trips from Santorini
- Wine tasting in Santorini
- Hiking from Fira to Oia in Santorini
- Best Santorini tours and excursions
- Best boat tours in Santorini
- Santorini Island Hopping
How to make the journey from Syros to Santorini FAQ
Some commonly asked questions about traveling to Santorini from Syros include:
How can I get to Santorini from Syros?
The best way to make the trip from Syros to Santorini is by ferry. There is one ferry per day, and on a couple of days a week, 2 ferries per day sailing to the island of Santorini from Syros.
Is there an airport in Santorini?
Although the Cyclades island of Santorini has an airport, taking a plane between Syros and Santorini is not an option. Syros airport only connects with Athens.
How many hours is the ferry from Syros to Santorini?
The ferries to Santorini from Syros take between 3 hours and 10 minutes and 3 hours and 45 minutes during the summer. The travel time can be a couple of hours longer in the winter. Ferry operators on the Syros Santorini route may include SeaJets and Blue Star Ferries.
Where do I buy ferry tickets to Santorini?
I find that the Ferryhopper website is the best place to book ferry tickets online. Although I suggest you book your Syros to Santorini ferry tickets in advance, you could also use a local travel agency in Greece.
Dave is a travel writer who spends his time traveling around and writing about Greece. As well as creating this travel guide to ferries from Syros to Santorini, he's created many other guides about Greek islands and destinations in Greece. Follow Dave on social media for travel inspiration from Greece and beyond: