I cycled through Argentina as part of my bike tour from Alaska to Argentina. Here are my bike touring blogs, as well as thoughts, experiences and cycling tips.
Cycling in Argentina
I'd started my bike tour from Alaska back in July 2009, and nearly 18 months later, I finally cycled into Argentina from Bolivia. When I set out on the trip, I'd intended to cycle down to the very south of the continent at Tierra del Fuego. As it turned out though, I ended my bicycle tour somewhat abruptly at Mendoza.
For anyone that has cycled through Argentina, yes, I'm aware I never got to see the most beautiful parts of the country! I guess it's all there for next time.
Thinking back to the bike tour
At the time, I remember being very torn about the whole situation. There was one part of me that thought I had ‘failed' somehow in not reaching the final destination of my goal. There was another part that knew it was all for the good if I looked at things long term.Writing this particular cycling blog in December of 2019 I of course have a different perspective. Now, I can see that I made a good decision to cut my trip short – although 18 months is still a long bike ride by any standards! By returning to the UK when I did, I managed to get myself out of a small amount of debt, and set myself up for greater possibilities ahead.
You may notice that in some of the blogs, I mention working online by freelance writing and developing websites. This was all a good learning curve, as from 2015 onward I started working for myself full-time online.
But what about the actual cycling?
You've probably noticed that I haven't written anything about the actual cycling in Argentina yet! Well, in a way this is because my strongest memories were of deciding if I should cut my trip short and return to the UK or not.
Fortunately, I wrote a blog post a day during my bike tour from Alaska to Argentina, and my time spent cycling in Argentina was no exception. You can check out my daily blogs below to get a feel for what cycling Argentina was like for me.
Argentina Bike Touring Blogs
Here are my bike touring blogs from the Argentina section of my bike tour from Alaska to Argentina:
- Cycling from nr. Mojo to La Quiaca
- Cycling from La Quiaca to a Mountain
- Cycling from a Mountain to nr. Tilcara
- Cycling from nr. Tilcara to Yala
- Cycling from Yala to Salta
- Christmas in Salta
- New Years in Salta
- Cycling from Salta to La Vina
- Cycling from La Vina to Cafayate
- Cycling from Cafayate to Santa Maria
- Cycling from Santa Maria to Hualifin
- Cycling from Hualifin to Belen
- Cycling from Belen to San Blas
- Cycling from San Blas to Near Pituil
- Cycling from near Pituil to Chilecito
- Cycling from Chilecito to Sanogasta
- Cycling from Sanogasta to Villa Union along the Cuesta de Miranda
- Time off in Villa Union
- Cycling from Villa Union to near Huaco
- Cycling from near Huaco to Wild Camp
- Cycling from Wild Camp to San Juan
- Cycling from San Juan to Wild Camp
- Cycling from Wild Camp to Mendoza
- Time off in Mendoza
- The End of the Trip
- Bicycle Touring South America