I cycled through Argentina as part of my bike tour from Alaska to Argentina. Here are my bike touring blogs, as well as thoughts, experiences and cycling tips.
Cycling in Argentina
I'd started my bike tour from Alaska back in July 2009, and nearly 18 months later, I finally cycled into Argentina from Bolivia. This would be the last country in South America I would be riding through on this cycling tour.
When I set out on the trip, I'd intended to cycle down to the very south of the continent at Tierra del Fuego. As it turned out though, I ended my bicycle tour somewhat abruptly at Mendoza.
For anyone that has cycled through Argentina, yes, I'm aware I never got to see the most beautiful parts of the country! I guess it's all there for next time.
Thinking back to the bike tour
At the time, I remember being very torn about the whole situation of having to end my bike tour early in Argentina. I had been mentally fixed on reaching Tierra del Fuego for 18 months of cycling, and 2 years of planning after all!
There was one part of me that thought I had ‘failed' somehow in not reaching the final destination of my goal. There was another part though that knew it was all for the good if I looked at things with a long term horizon in mind.
Writing this particular cycling blog about Argentina in December of 2019, I of course have a different perspective. Now, I can see that I made a good decision to cut my trip short – although 18 months is still a long bike ride by any standards!
Why was is a good decision? By ending my bikepacking trip in Argentina and returning to the UK when I did, I managed to get myself out of a small amount of debt, and set myself up for greater possibilities ahead.
This laid the foundation for building this travel blog into what is now (adding this line in 2022!) a considerable online business. I've been working full time for myself through this blog since 2015, and the freedom it has given me has led to many other travel adventures.
As they say, all things happen for a reason.
Bike touring in Argentina
As with the rest of my cycling tour from Alaska to Argentina, I wrote a blog post a day. It was a lot of work at the time, but it was worth it!
While you must keep in mind that these blogs about biking in Argentina were written in 2010 / 2011, I still think they have valuable information for other cyclists planning a route to explore this beautiful part of the world.
You can check out my daily blogs below to get a feel for what cycling Argentina was like for me.
Argentina Bike Touring Blogs
Here are my bike touring blogs from the Argentina section of my bike tour from Alaska to Argentina:
- Cycling from nr. Mojo to La Quiaca
- Cycling from La Quiaca to a Mountain
- Cycling from a Mountain to nr. Tilcara
- Cycling from nr. Tilcara to Yala
- Cycling from Yala to Salta
- Christmas in Salta
- New Years in Salta
- Cycling from Salta to La Vina
- Cycling from La Vina to Cafayate
- Cycling from Cafayate to Santa Maria
- Cycling from Santa Maria to Hualifin
- Cycling from Hualifin to Belen
- Cycling from Belen to San Blas
- Cycling from San Blas to Near Pituil
- Cycling from near Pituil to Chilecito
- Cycling from Chilecito to Sanogasta
- Cycling from Sanogasta to Villa Union along the Cuesta de Miranda
- Time off in Villa Union
- Cycling from Villa Union to near Huaco
- Cycling from near Huaco to Wild Camp
- Cycling from Wild Camp to San Juan
- Cycling from San Juan to Wild Camp
- Cycling from Wild Camp to Mendoza
- Time off in Mendoza
- The End of the Trip
- Bicycle Touring South America